Looking for in-ear headphones for my Zune
Dec 29, 2007 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Nilosaur

New Head-Fier
After looking around this forum a bit, I decided to purchase a Zune.. I heard it was the best-sounding player (30GB) for around $150. I'm looking to spend around $50 on earbuds (doesn't matter if they're noise-isolation or not) to replace the stock Zune ones. I listen to a broad range of music -- mostly R&B and Alternative, though. I also have around 15GB of ~160kbps mp3s.

Here are some I'm looking into:
  1. Creative EP-630
  2. Sennheiser CX300
  3. Sennheiser MX500
  4. Sennheiser MX550
  5. V-MODA Bass Freq
  6. V-MODA Bass Freq
  7. JVC Marshmallow

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 32
now honestly... WHY would you use such a great headphone like the triple fi with 160kp mp3s?! You wouldn't. I love my ep-630s, such a good headphone for $25. It's probably the best out of your list as well, though I'm not familiar with the mx500/550.

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kangkangnono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude, work a little bit harder, and add another $300, get a trople fi 10 or se530, that's what u need ~~ I love Zune, so get a good phone to match it~~

why would you tell someone that? someone with only $50 to spare cannot scrape another $300 usually.

i'd go for the mylarone x3i. you can get them at jaben.net for $57

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 32
the ep630's are quite nice for the price
you might also want to consider yuin pk3's - an earbud, but they blow the ep630's out of the water, i'm waiting on my zune, but thats what i'll be using on the go :p

also if you dont mind clip on's koss ksc75 is amazing despite the very low price, just do a search on them and see the positive reviews, and they cost about 15bux.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 32
honestly, i think the zune buds sound quite good and in fact i think they're better than the sennheiser buds that you listed. give them a try first and go from there. for something under $50, the ksc75 (altho not buds), marshmallows, fx66 and portapro are all good options.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 32
Buy.com - Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Noise Isolation Design Earphones - Red - IP-P3SSR0005-02
A pretty good deal, though I don't particularly like the red color. They generally have really great reviews, though lots of people say that the upgrade to 140 dollar SF5 Pros is worth it. Normally retail for 100
http://www.jvcservice.com/store/ProductDetail.asp?Part=HA-FX33A
Amazon.com: JVC Air Cushion In-Ear Headphones - Red: Electronics
Yeah, not the GREATEST audio quality, but pretty good price/value ratio. And they're both really comfy.
Newegg.com - ALTEC LANSING High Definition Noise-Free Headphone Model IM716 - Retail
Slightly over 50, but definitely worth it. MSRP is 200, and they have rave reviews.
Head-Direct.com
OVC TC20s...basically, they're what the MylarOne X3s are based on..some people like them even more though, and they're only 20 bucks.
Amazon.com: XtremeMac IPD-FSE-10 FS1 Earphones (Black): Electronics
Not sure why I haven't seen these recommended in a while, but they're based on the Future Sonics Atrio series, and had really amazing reviews for a while. Some say they don't stay in too well, but they apparently have amazing bass for entry-fi IEMS.
http://www.amazon.com/Maximo-iM-490S-iMetal-Isolation-Earphones/dp/B000LFZ6OE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=11952604 65&sr=1-2
Pretty good reviews on these, you may want to look at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...-390-a-255368/ ... the 490 is presumably the upgraded version of the 390, though it is tuned 'specifically' for sansas. If you search on amazon, you can find the 390s for something like 23 dollars too.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 32
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Yeah.. I'm a freshman in college and don't have the money to get better headphones unfortunately. I never really considered myself an audiophile anyways, heh. My past players were a Zen Micro and iPod Nano 2g with stock buds.

I'm thinking of going for the Creative EP-630s, JVC FX33s, or Yuin PK3s. Where's the best place to get the Yuins?

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 32
I'm going to assume you didn't see my above post yet, but the Yuins can be had at head-direct like the OVC TC20s..
Head-Direct.com

EDIT: seems my assumptions were correct XD. Hopefully I didn't make it too hard on you as far as deciding goes :p

EDIT2: Forgot, Amazon.com: JBL Reference 220 Headphone (Black): Electronics
They're reviewed here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jbl...n-pics-214803/ ...sound is somewhere between CX300 and Vibes I guess.
And, if you're really worried about money (I'm in the same sort of position as you, I'm a highschool junior), you can always look at the new + used sellers on amazon for some of these.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 32
Decisions, decisions.. Thanks for ALL the recommendations though, hahah. After looking around the forums, these look the best:
  1. Sennheiser MX500
  2. JBL Reference 220
  3. Yuin PK3
  4. Altec Lansing IM716
I'll probably wait it out a little before I order to see what other people think.. Also, is Zune really the best sounding out of the other ~30GB players? I'm getting it over the ZV:M because it's going for $150 new on Amazon right now.

---

edit: I'm probably overthinking this (I hate making decisions..), but I made a list of all the headphones around $50 I'd consider:
[$15] JVC FX33
[$20] Sennheiser MX500
[$25] JVC FX66
[$25] Maximo iM-390
[$25] OVC TC20
[$25] V-MODA Bass Freq
[$30] Creative EP-630
[$35] JBL Reference 220
[$35] JVC FX55
[$45] Sennheiser CX300
[$50] Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio
[$55] Mylarone x3i
[$55] Yuin PK3
[$60] Altec Lansing IM716

The bolded ones seem like the ones that sound the best overall. Are the Yuin PK3s really worth 3x the Sennheiser MX500s?

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 32
compared to the ipod and creative offerings, i think the zune has a stronger headphone output. with the acoustic eq setting turned on, the zune doesn't distort unlike the ipod and creative offerings. the zune also seems to drive all of my portable headphones fairly easily.

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 32
No, I'd say the best sounding 30GB player would probably be the AudioCubes.com - Kenwood HD30GB9 Digital HDD MP3 Player - HD30GB9 -

then probably the Red Wine Audio iMod (some may switch the two of these). Then there is the Amazon.com: iAudio X5 30 GB Portable Multimedia Player with FM Tuner & Voice Recorder (Black): Electronics , the iRiver H series of old, the Rio Karma (though that was only 20gb)...Cowon A2 and now A3 (has a line out), etc.

The zune fits somewhere among that mess, but its debated where. In any case, it has very good sound quality, and that price isn't toooo bad. If you had been in the market back before microsoft announced that they were keeping the 30gb in the line (but after the news of new zunes came out) you could've picked one up for 100 >_<

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 32
I have the Zune80 and the ZVM (with a Sony A816 coming Monday), and the PK3s are fantastic (have them) as are the 716s (except for that dumb pod). If you are going to really need isolation, 716s are the better bet. But, and this is a big one, the 716s really need an amp to shine, the PK3s do not. Save another $40 and get a CMOY or a Penguin Caffeine ($49) so your Zune and 716s really sound great. I use my Penguin when on the go (very light, mint tin amp) and it really sounds great. The MiniboxE+ is a much better amp, but heavier.

Another option is the Ety er6i, which is about $80 and has the Ety sound and great isolation. But that may be beyond your budget. The 716s were on sale a few places for $50, but normally they are more. The PK3s are $50, after a recent price raise. As ear buds go, you won't do better for the money.

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...) as are the 716s (except for that dumb pod). If you are going to really need isolation, 716s are the better bet. But, and this is a big one, the 716s really need an amp to shine, the PK3s do not...
...Another option is the Ety er6i

Well, as far as the pod goes...if you're electronically savvy, there is always http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/im7...ectomy-200246/

And amping...I was under the impression that the Zune Headphone out might be powerful enough to deal with the 716, but I guess I may be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back