Looking for IEMs to replace AL IM716
Jan 13, 2008 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Daemos

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've had my IM716 for a while now, the pod was removed and modified by Drew of MoonAudio, I am in the market for a replacement.

The IM716 still work fine, and I'm using Shure ultra flex tips (Medium) Although I enjoy the way they sound they do have a few flaws however. This is what I'm looking for:

1) Something that is as detailed as the IM716 (but better sounding is always better) I listen to a wide range of music, I'm not a bass head, but I agree it could use a little more umph in the low range.
2) Something more comfortable to wear, I find after a couple hours of wearing them they get tiring, or they are just very uncomfortable to wear. I had the foam tips they didn't really help, and got gross pretty quickly.
3) Something that doesn't stick out as much, it's winter, it's cold, I wear ear warmers, and I can't really have the IM716 in my ears.
4) Something that works without an amp.
5) Something that's NOT custom, I prefer universal IEMs, I think custom would be awesome, but not really my thing right now.
6) I don't really have a set budget, I'll spend the money if I feel it's worth it, but better bang/buck is always what I look for.

Thanks

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 8
I just upgraded from the IM716's to the UE SF5 pro's and am quite glad I did. they are big, but with the Mod of flipping the drivers, they are more flush with the ear. Sound is phenomenal, compared to the 716's. Just sounds more balanced and full, to me. I too was a fan of the 716's with the foamies, but the SF5's foamies leave a bit to be desired regarding comfort. They do sound great, but their alot stiffer than the ones we are used to. I plan to purchase the Shure Olive's and replace the tubes to fit the SF5's. I'm Jacked up for them, based on all the positive threads here. Good luck!

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I've had my IM716 for a while now, the pod was removed and modified by Drew of MoonAudio, I am in the market for a replacement.

The IM716 still work fine, and I'm using Shure ultra flex tips (Medium) Although I enjoy the way they sound they do have a few flaws however. This is what I'm looking for:

1) Something that is as detailed as the IM716 (but better sounding is always better) I listen to a wide range of music, I'm not a bass head, but I agree it could use a little more umph in the low range.
2) Something more comfortable to wear, I find after a couple hours of wearing them they get tiring, or they are just very uncomfortable to wear. I had the foam tips they didn't really help, and got gross pretty quickly.
3) Something that doesn't stick out as much, it's winter, it's cold, I wear ear warmers, and I can't really have the IM716 in my ears.
4) Something that works without an amp.
5) Something that's NOT custom, I prefer universal IEMs, I think custom would be awesome, but not really my thing right now.
6) I don't really have a set budget, I'll spend the money if I feel it's worth it, but better bang/buck is always what I look for.

Thanks

Are you selling your modded 716s? If so, I'd be interested if the price is right. I was considering sending my pair to Moon, but $45 seems like alot. I use them primarily for stationery listening with a great amp (Minibox), so those issues don't bother me as much. Frankly, with the Minibox, I don't know if the mod is worth it, since I am torn about using them without an amp (I have Atrios and PK3s for that duty). But I do like their clean, clear mids and highs (as long as the bass is off on the pod).

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rugby10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just upgraded from the IM716's to the UE SF5 pro's and am quite glad I did. they are big, but with the Mod of flipping the drivers, they are more flush with the ear. Sound is phenomenal, compared to the 716's. Just sounds more balanced and full, to me. I too was a fan of the 716's with the foamies, but the SF5's foamies leave a bit to be desired regarding comfort. They do sound great, but their alot stiffer than the ones we are used to. I plan to purchase the Shure Olive's and replace the tubes to fit the SF5's. I'm Jacked up for them, based on all the positive threads here. Good luck!

Did you ever mod your 716s or did you use an amp with them? Just curious.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Not sure if I am going to sell the im716, I'd most likely keep it around as a back up pair, I tend to misplace things and then find them again after some time
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 8
This is tough. Number 3 is killing most of my suggestions. I wear warmers too and they do puch most IEMS into your ear enough to hurt.

I would have to say that livewires customs (I know you didn't want them - 5) are going to be the best bet.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Ive heard great things about the Q-Jays. Their suppose to sound similar to the ER-4P but with more bottom end. The SF5 is really good too. I liked them before I lost them. Those are very easy on the ears and are more relaxed than the IM716 and the Etymotics in my opinion( I personally like the ER4-P better though for my taste). Either Super.fi 5 pro or Q-jays would be best for you I think. I would also wait for the new Sennheiser IEMs to be released because those are supposedly pretty good. Im going to try them. Dynamic Driver IEMs from Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back