Looking for IEM's for podcasts (ya rly)
Aug 28, 2008 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kaldaim

100+ Head-Fier
Odd place to be asking about cheap earphones to play low quality audio files, but I'd guess that every pair of headphones/earphones has been owned by at least someone that frequents these forums.

I find myself listening to podcasts a lot lately, and 95% of the time I'm listening to them I'm lying in bed.

I need a pair of earphones that...

(in order of importance)

1) Are comfortable, especially with my head against a pillow. (I have been using Shure IEM's for the past 3 years, so I am used to the feel of IEM's)

2) Have good isolation. (I live in a loud apartment complex and i keep my fan going all night. I need to be able to hear quiet talking without having to put the volume so high that it hurts once it gets loud again)

3) Stay snug in my ears. (The cheap ones I'm using right now fall out if the cord gets snagged even a tiny bit. I really like the 'behind the ear' style of the Shures, so something like that would be nice)

4) Are durable. (I plan on using them almost every night and I'd like them to not fall apart on me)

5) Sound acceptable. (I know 96kbps mp3 isn't going to sound good, but I don't want it to sound like it's coming out of a tin can)

I am looking to spend ~$50, less is obviously better. I've had the cable cracking problem with my Shures in the past (On my second pair of E4's and third pair of E500's) so I really don't want to be using them for something as trivial (sound wise) as a podcast.

I'm also looking for a cheap mp3 player (around $50 or less) to go with them. I need something that can fast-forward through a large file quickly and preferably has bookmarking capabilities. Battery life is another important factor, but I don't need high capacity - 1gb or less is sufficient.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 6
I think the usual suspects are: marsmallow, CX300, and C351. I've never used marshmallows, but Ive owned the other two. I found the CX300s more comfy (I think the tips were softer. I couldn't do an AB comparison because I sold them off a little before I bought the 351s.), but the 351s sounded better (but not by much). The CX300s would probably suit you.

Aug 29, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 6
MArshmallows stick out a bit. Surprisingly, in bed I prefer the bulkier air cushions, their design lies flatter against the ear.

OR you could get mylarones x3i, which is what i've been using in bed since i got them. I don't even feel them.

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 6
cx-300. they don't stick out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back