Looking for IEMs and headphone Dac/Amp
Mar 20, 2019 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hconverse02

New Head-Fier
So after looking around a bit, I've gotten some ideas about what I would like to look for I already have a pair of shp9500s and I'm not looking to upgrade those for quite a few years just because I don't have the money. However, I do use my current beginner iems (tin t2s) quite often and want to find something more enjoyable (aka more expensive). As well as iems, I was wondering if getting a dedicated dac/amp for home (and to keep for the future when I do get better headphones) was a good idea even if I can't currently use it to its full potential. I have a peachtree shift dac/amp that I picked up for inexpensive because it was convenient to have something portable, but will it make much of a difference to get something in the $200-$300 range right now? Or should I just get better iems and save that purchase for the future? Budget if I get a dac/amp and iems are around $500 combined and probably $400-$500 if I just get iems.

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 13
Personally, I would go with the IEM upgrade first and then see where you are. Not familiar with the peachtree so cannot comment on that, sorry. I would suggest you look at an iBasso IT04 or a Campfire Orion and see if you are interested in what you read. Either one would be a huge upgrade in SQ over your current pair, IMO. You can get a very nice-sounding IEM at $4-500. :)

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 13
Personally, I would go with the IEM upgrade first and then see where you are. Not familiar with the peachtree so cannot comment on that, sorry. I would suggest you look at an iBasso IT04 or a Campfire Orion and see if you are interested in what you read. Either one would be a huge upgrade in SQ over your current pair, IMO. You can get a very nice-sounding IEM at $4-500. :)
I think as an inexperienced listener, I would be comfortable with either, but I’m leaning toward the Orion because it’s a little bit less and I wouldn’t be guessing as much at its sq than the it04s. Both look great, so thanks!

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 13
I agree with the all-in on IEMs suggestion. IMO Orion is a bit overpriced for what it is though... so unless you get it a good deal on it, I wouldn’t recommend it at $350.

What kind of sound signature do you prefer?

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 13
I agree with the all-in on IEMs suggestion. IMO Orion is a bit overpriced for what it is though... so unless you get it a good deal on it, I wouldn’t recommend it at $350.

Fully agree, even though I think that a good DAC/Amp or DAP is essential, especially when you get i to the +200 price range.
The preferred signature and maybe also music style would help to make a recommendation.
If neutral, highly resolving, dynamic sound suits your taste, the JVC HA-FD02 is great after doing a simple mod.
If you can live with poor isolation and like a warmer sound with excellent bass quality and soundstage, and can live with a treble that can be a tiny bit too sparkly at times the SONY EX800ST is amazing for the price.
Generally you seem to get better value in that range with DD IEMs vs BA driven ones, but it depends on your tastes.

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 13

Fully agree, even though I think that a good DAC/Amp or DAP is essential, especially when you get i to the +200 price range.
The preferred signature and maybe also music style would help to make a recommendation.
If neutral, highly resolving, dynamic sound suits your taste, the JVC HA-FD02 is great after doing a simple mod.
If you can live with poor isolation and like a warmer sound with excellent bass quality and soundstage, and can live with a treble that can be a tiny bit too sparkly at times the SONY EX800ST is amazing for the price.
Generally you seem to get better value in that range with DD IEMs vs BA driven ones, but it depends on your tastes.

Sorry its been a while since I checked this, but I prefer neutral or somewhat emphasized highs (nothing crazy cause I'm new to this world). I don't want to buy a >$300 iem that I'm going to have to end up modding even if its something simple. I would prefer something with medium/maximum isolation and I listen to a plethora of music so my music changes style all the time but I would like a consistent iem. I think I like the idea of the iBasso it04 that @serman005 suggested, that's just a little expensive but I wouldn't mind saving up to spend $500 on the only high tier iem I would need. The plan is not to but multiple pairs or get stuck in mid-fi, so I would like to be comfortable enough with something that I could keep for at least 5-10 years.

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 13
Sorry its been a while since I checked this, but I prefer neutral or somewhat emphasized highs (nothing crazy cause I'm new to this world). I don't want to buy a >$300 iem that I'm going to have to end up modding even if its something simple. I would prefer something with medium/maximum isolation and I listen to a plethora of music so my music changes style all the time but I would like a consistent iem. I think I like the idea of the iBasso it04 that @serman005 suggested, that's just a little expensive but I wouldn't mind saving up to spend $500 on the only high tier iem I would need. The plan is not to but multiple pairs or get stuck in mid-fi, so I would like to be comfortable enough with something that I could keep for at least 5-10 years.

A couple neutral IEMs that might work for you are the Etymotic ER4 (I prefer the XR over the SR), the Massdrop Plus (slightly bassier, also some concerns about 2-pin connector durability?), and the Moondrop Blessing. I haven't tried the IT04, so can't really comment on that one.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 13
A couple neutral IEMs that might work for you are the Etymotic ER4 (I prefer the XR over the SR), the Massdrop Plus (slightly bassier, also some concerns about 2-pin connector durability?), and the Moondrop Blessing. I haven't tried the IT04, so can't really comment on that one.
Anything you could recommend in the $500 range? I will be saving and if im already spending $300, I want it to be worth it so if something at the $500 mark is much more worth it than at the $300 mark, I wouldn't mind. I also can assume though that a great $300 iem is more worth its money than a comparable $500 iem.

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 13
Anything you could recommend in the $500 range? I will be saving and if im already spending $300, I want it to be worth it so if something at the $500 mark is much more worth it than at the $300 mark, I wouldn't mind. I also can assume though that a great $300 iem is more worth its money than a comparable $500 iem.

IMO $500 is a bit of an awkward price point, but...

For universal IEMs, the Sony MDR-EX1000 is a great IEM at <$500, and it does have the neutral + somewhat emphasized highs, but it also provides no isolation and might be an awkward fit. (It's also discontinued, so a bit difficult to find new.)
Alternatively, if you're able to demo them beforehand, $500 could also get you a nice pair of CIEMs, which would get you that maximum isolation (and let you design something yourself).
If you're not against buying used, I'd also suggest keeping an eye out on used marketplaces. Who knows what might pop up.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 13
IMO $500 is a bit of an awkward price point, but...

For universal IEMs, the Sony MDR-EX1000 is a great IEM at <$500, and it does have the neutral + somewhat emphasized highs, but it also provides no isolation and might be an awkward fit. (It's also discontinued, so a bit difficult to find new.)
Alternatively, if you're able to demo them beforehand, $500 could also get you a nice pair of CIEMs, which would get you that maximum isolation (and let you design something yourself).
If you're not against buying used, I'd also suggest keeping an eye out on used marketplaces. Who knows what might pop up.
Ok that makes sense, I thought $500 was a weird point. Would you recommend saving up (maybe no more than $800) to get ciems or should I hit the $300 range for something that is comparable? Price isn't too much of an issue, it just means I have to save longer, but I'm not looking for a $2000 pair of iems before I even have a car. If so, what ciem brands do you recommend?

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 13
For me, I think it is better to upgrade the IEMs first than DAC. I believe if you put your budget on IEM, you will get better experience than use your budget on both IEM & DAC. Just my opinion, Good luck!

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 13
Ok that makes sense, I thought $500 was a weird point. Would you recommend saving up (maybe no more than $800) to get ciems or should I hit the $300 range for something that is comparable? Price isn't too much of an issue, it just means I have to save longer, but I'm not looking for a $2000 pair of iems before I even have a car. If so, what ciem brands do you recommend?

Honestly, I don't think that's a question I can answer for you, since it depends on how much that extra ~$500 means to you. For recommendations, I usually try to err on the side of "spend as little money as possible".
Do I think the best ~$800 IEMs are better than the best ~$300 IEMs? Yes, but do I think everyone needs an ~$800 IEM? No, probably not. That ER4/MD+/Orion/etc. is already better than what 99+% of people will ever use for in ear monitors already, and something that should keep you happy for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back