Looking for IEM w/ similar sound of Monster Turbines, better comfort
Dec 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
I recently got a great deal on a pair of Monster Turbine's, but they had terrible driver flex/popping.  Additionally they were not at all comfortable after extended periods of time,  likely due to their weight, combined with sharp edges.

I'm looking for something that sounds similar, but with a more comfortable fit, for around $100.

Additionally it really should have a right angle plug, like these Monsters.  This makes a substantial difference in long term durability when used with a portable source, I've found.

I know these Turbines aren't perfect, but their detail, tone and bass are sufficient and pleasing to my ears.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Try some Brainwavz M2 for $60.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

They sound amazing and are very well made.  The come strain relieved on both the jack and ear piece side.  Comply T-400 foam tips are highly recommended and will extend the comfort even more.

Here are the Monster charts so you can compare, but the M2 has a very wide sound stage, slightly bass tilted signature, with exceptional clarity in the mid range.  The only weakness is the treble, but for the price they are amazing.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MonsterTurbine.pdf

The M2 graphically and sonically is more clear, refined, and has less harmonic distortion than the Turbines.

Total Cost:
$65 for the M2
$15 for 3-pair medium T-400 Comply foam tips
-------
$80

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 5
The JVC FXC51 are very crisp, clear warm sounding IEMs like Turbine and they are cheap price but sound very detailed. The other IEMs like Sony EX310, Beainwavz M4 and HSA Crystal are recommended.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the suggestions guys, the brainwavz look pretty good but I'm worried the bass response looks like it tapers off as it gets lower, compared to the monsters? Do these M2s have decent bass?

Secondly how about Westone UM2s? How would these compare to the Monsters?

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 5
shure se215!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back