looking for IEM suggestion
Sep 30, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #16 of 23
Westone and Shure are not too competitive nowadays in terms of price-to-performance ratio (I used to buy their gear like a decade or so back).

For your budget, do check out the Dunu Falcon Pro, Yanyin Canon II, Penon Fan 2, Moondrop Variations.
I found a good deal on a pair of Shure 846. And it's within that price range. The review seems to indicate I'm getting a good (or great quality) IEMs.

Thoughts?

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #17 of 23
I found a good deal on a pair of Shure 846. And it's within that price range.
This model was very good 10 years ago, i wouldn't buy it now unless very cheap.
Shure isn't competitive anymore in today's iems market, they are stuck in the past same as Westone

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #18 of 23
This model was very good 10 years ago, i wouldn't buy it now unless very cheap.
Shure isn't competitive anymore in today's iems market, they are stuck in the past same as Westone
I'm not paying full price.Are you saying there's a comparable ("performance-wise") IEM at my price range?

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 23
I don't have any thoughts on the SE846, but did you know there are highly regarded earbuds these days that compete with IEMs for enthusiasts dollars? I mention that because they are usually high-impedance single dynamic drivers that need to be driven by desktop-class amplifiers. There's a lot of information on this latest generation of great earbuds in the earbuds round up thread. If full sized headphones don't work for you in hot weather, these next generation earbuds are a great alternative IMO.

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 23
I don't have any thoughts on the SE846, but did you know there are highly regarded earbuds these days that compete with IEMs for enthusiasts dollars? I mention that because they are usually high-impedance single dynamic drivers that need to be driven by desktop-class amplifiers. There's a lot of information on this latest generation of great earbuds in the earbuds round up thread. If full sized headphones don't work for you in hot weather, these next generation earbuds are a great alternative IMO.
Are you saying IEMs will blow up when paired with desktop headamps?

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #21 of 23
Are you saying IEMs will blow up when paired with desktop headamps?
Not at all, but low-impedance, high-sensitivity IEMs have been know to "hiss" on amps without a negative gain stage.

I'm merely suggesting earbuds as a possible alternative to IEMs because the best of them are quite affordable and take well to desktop amplification.

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #22 of 23
Have a look at Letshuoer S12 planar IEM, a lot of bang for your buck. I have a few sets that were 4 and 5 times the price and any practical difference in sound quality is a matter of personal preference.

They sound great and are much less prone to picking up amplifier noise floor hiss than their specifications suggest.

The standard model can be ordered with a 3.5mm or 4.4mm plug. Get an extension cable for desktop use so you don’t have to change the cable often, as was said earlier that is not a good idea with IEM.

https://hifigo.com/products/shuoer-s12-14-8mm-planar-magnetic-driver-iem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back