looking for IEM suggestion
Sep 29, 2023 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mrjayviper

500+ Head-Fier
as above. my budget is around $200 to $500 USD. Thank you.

PS. I don't really know much about IEMs but I've heard of brands Moondrop, Weston and Shure.

EDIT1: I will be listening to various musical genres (from classical to psytrance and anything in between)

EDIT2: Preferably with removable cables so I can use it while working from home (longer cables) or commuting (shorter cables)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 23

PS. I don't really know much about IEMs but I've heard of brands Moondrop, Weston and Shure.

EDIT1: I will be listening to various musical genres (from classical to psytrance and anything in between)

EDIT2: Preferably with removable cables so I can use it while working from home (longer cables) or commuting (shorter cables)

Westone and Shure are not too competitive nowadays in terms of price-to-performance ratio (I used to buy their gear like a decade or so back).

For your budget, do check out the Dunu Falcon Pro, Yanyin Canon II, Penon Fan 2, Moondrop Variations.

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 23

Etymotic if you want maximum isolation.

Also, removable cables for IEMs are removable only in the technical or literal sense. The plugs do not have the kind of lifespan 3.5mm plugs do. The primary purpose is to make it easier to salvage different parts if either the cable or one of the buds breaks; after all, when the cable isn’t removable, then you need to toss everything when one thing breaks.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 23
The ones you can't go wrong with:
Simgot EA500
Moondrop Kato

If your just starting out, you'll probably be so happy with either you won't fall down the upgrade rabbit hole.
The IEMs will only be used using warm days when I cannot use my full sized headphones

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 23
i got a variety of phones (Focal Clears, Sony Z1Rs, AKG K812, Beyer T5 and etc)

if they sound like any of them and is comfortable, I'll be happy! Thanks
What kind of source equipment will you be plugging them into and driving them with?

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 23
What kind of source equipment will you be plugging them into and driving them with?
i'm hoping to plugin the IEM to the same DAc+headamp combo I'm using for the phones above.

Both devices has volumn control (99 steps for each) so I'm hoping I can limit the power going into the IEM this so it does not "blow up"

Thank you.

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 23
i'm hoping to plugin the IEM to the same DAc+headamp combo I'm using for the phones above.

Both devices has volumn control (99 steps for each) so I'm hoping I can limit the power going into the IEM this so it does not "blow up"

Thank you.
Desktop amps should suit the Final Audio E5000 perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back