Looking for IEM (not SE530's) with excellent staging, voice realism, and imaging. $1500 limit
Mar 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

The Rino

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for IEM (not SE530's) with excellent staging, voice realism, and imaging. $ no object
I recently bought the markl modded Denon AH-D5000's with Jena recable and I absolutely love them. The problem is that I thought, being a closed design they would be more isolating. I also have a pair of Darth Beyers and after comparing them to the Denons leave much SQ to be desired for my tastes. I would like an IEM that compares closely to the Denons as I can get. The Darths do not have the realism(accuracy), the staging or the subdued amount of base as the Denons and would like to keep those 3 things a requirement for my next pair of IEM's. I had a pair of Shures (the model replaced by the SE530's) and I liked them but it's been a couple of years since I owned them and I can't remember how they sounded well enough to compare. If I remember correctly they were a bit colored which isn't a bad thing if my next IEM's would have the coloring more like the HD650's which I also loved but owned for only a few weeks and realized they were to open (I knew they're and open design but wanted to try them anyway) I recieved a pair of Sure SE530s after the cable broke on the previous model so I just sold them as new. Can anyone give me recommendations as to IEMs . What are the best ones for realism(accuracy), staging and imaging. How about the UE's or Westones or Ety's flagship models. It doesn't have to be their top-of-the-line models but I figured you get what you pay for in most cases. Your help would be great.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 24
ES3X comes to mind from what I read (and hear from W3), due to absolutely spectacular midrange performance and controlled treble/bass.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 24
Customs for sure, maybe ES3X.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 24
If you want to save some money and you loved the Senn HD650, you might want to look at the Sennheiser IE8. It will save you a lot of money over those customs, and should satisfy you. If it doesn't, it won't be very hard to sell and make your money back.

Some people who have had the HD650's should give some input on comparing them to the IE8 if they wouldn't mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 24
What about the Westone 3's? I read they have a neutral realistic sound. The UE-10 pro's sound nice but I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of getting molds of my canals done.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 24
i agree with Zalithian. if you like the sennheiser hd650 sound, get the ie8.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow. Money no object. I envy you. I want a pair of ES3X.

$1500 bucks. I hope they are not plugged into a sansa Clip. I think I 'd get anothe pair of denons and a 50 inch flat screen.

I can't help. My $100 Ms1s are my most expensive phones. My Yahama 9.9hp fishing motor cost @ $1500.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 24
$1500 limit?

ES3X, and get a Minibox-E+ to drive them (or maybe something else, I don't own them so I can't comment on synergy).

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parisis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$1500 bucks. I hope they are not plugged into a sansa Clip. I think I 'd get anothe pair of denons and a 50 inch flat screen.

I can't help. My $100 Ms1s are my most expensive phones. My Yahama 9.9hp fishing motor cost @ $1500.

" $ no object" first sentence. contradicts the title.

and the sansa clip is a perfectly fine dap. though pairing it with a ~$1k pair of headphones is funny.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 24
If you want universals, you should definitely go for the IE8. Allow at least 350 hours of burn-in before judging, though. They're bassy at first, but the midbass hump will apparently disappear after quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back