Looking for IEM headphones for workouts / traveling
Oct 1, 2014 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xdflames

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, here with another question (last one was two years ago, heh) on what I should buy.
I want a pair of headphones that will last, have a really good cable and are comfy. I listen to all kinds of music including rock, classical, some rap, hip hop and more. My budget is around $150, but I am flexible. I want something that will last me a while, and hopefully come with a nice little carrying case. Most of my listening comes from my phone (Nexus 4).
Currently, I am using a cheap pair of Gummy headphones from WalMart, but I think it is about time I upgraded to a real man's set. For my desktop computer, I run a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro with a Fiio E10 amp, and I love it. Got them in 2012 based upon recommendations here.
I can't really say anything that I've been leaning towards, as I really don't know where to start here. Last pair I seriously looked at was a pair of wooden ones from Meze because they looked pretty. Looking pretty isn't required if the headphones are solid, though. I just want a solid and enjoyable listening experience, without having to worry about outside noise too much.

Basically:
-Flexible $150 budget
-IEM preferred, maybe something else if it is hard to break
-Comfy design
-Last a decent amount of time

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 6
Here's a few, so do you like the DT770 sound or is there something you want more or less of?

Thinksound MS01 - wood if you want it!
RHA MA750 - well made, 3 year warranty
Dunu DN-900 - Hybrid drivers but might not be so comfy depending on your ears

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 6
Here's a few, so do you like the DT770 sound or is there something you want more or less of?

Thinksound MS01 - wood if you want it!
RHA MA750 - well made, 3 year warranty
Dunu DN-900 - Hybrid drivers but might not be so comfy depending on your ears

Thanks for the reply! I do like the sound of my DT770, don't really have any complaints. I guess if anything I would like a warm sounding pair of headphones, assuming it will fit okay with everything I listen to, or if a well balanced pair would be better.
They all look good and have good reviews, but I have a couple questions.
With the Think sound MS01, does the wood really matter, or is it just for looks?
The RHA MA750 are over ear, does this work well for glasses? I rarely wear contacts, so they would have to work with my glasses.
I can't really say anything about what I'd like comfort wise in an IEM, except for that the pair of Gummy headphones that I've been using are fairly comfortable.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Did a bit of looking around, and I'm considering buying the RHA MA750i this weekend when I get paid. Really excited for them. I'll probably still do a bit more research until then to make sure I make a good decision, but so far I'm liking how people say they sound, plus the fantastic reviews here and elsewhere.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 6
The wood does have an effect, there are various wood cup replacement for full size cans, for instance.

The 750s will not likely interfere with glasses, I wear glasses at work and might have to remove them when putting IEMs on, but after that it's fine. With a bit of practise you'll not need to remove glasses more than likely.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 6
The wood does have an effect, there are various wood cup replacement for full size cans, for instance.

The 750s will not likely interfere with glasses, I wear glasses at work and might have to remove them when putting IEMs on, but after that it's fine. With a bit of practise you'll not need to remove glasses more than likely.

That is really good to hear about the glasses. I have the bendy flex type of frames, and they don't bother me while wearing my DT770s, so I was just going to go for it.
I plan on making a collection for myself, so it looks like wood will be the next piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back