Looking for ideal gaming/trance cans
Mar 7, 2008 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Punch

New Head-Fier
First off thanks to anyone who reads this, as I'm a bit lost and need help once and for all on getting some nice cans for my particular needs/tastes. The following is stuff I listen to and what I'm pumping music through predominantly.

Music: Trance/General Electronica
Games: First Person Shooters ala Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty 4, etc
Source: FLAC files played through foobar2000 (proper settings) coming out of an AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude
Preferences: I'm a bit of bass head, but I don't want to listen to something that is skewed since I need accuracy and excellent soundstage for gaming. Open or closed cans don't matter, but one thing to note is that I tried out the Audio Technica ATH-700's and I found them uncomfortable. I have a big head (I guess?) but I felt like they pinched my jawline.
Note: Price doesn't matter, but please, I want genuine suggestions, not links to extravagant flagship cans just because they're the best of the best.

I plan on hooking up a Zalman ZM MIC-1 for microphone purposes (In-game, Ventrilo, etc) since gaming headphones like the SteelSeries 5Hv2 and Razer Pirahna are either inexcusably bad or terribly uncomfortable. Your suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 12
I was going to say DT880 with leather earpads. but then lack of bass and headband comfort MIGHT be a big problem for you.
frown.gif

Read up on the DT880 nonetheless, it could be what you're looking for.
wink.gif

Well, lets see what the others have to suggest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about the wallet!

(You'll find out why I said that soon enough...
tongue.gif
)

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 12
I have the same cfg as you. Just metal instead of trance \m/

I run Dt880s off the prelude fine, it def has enough volume power easily. These cans are very good for gaming, and are very nice for music too(crap on my old ad700s but hey - expected isn't it?) even though most people recommend an amp for them. I am saving up for one, but that comes after a electric guitar..
cool.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 12
I recently bought my Ultrasone HFI-780s for gaming and music. I like them a lot and they are pretty comfortable on my head. I guess I have a medium sized head so these might be uncomfortable for you. Ultrasones are known to have a tight grip on your head lol.

I like them a lot and I feel like they're going to become the standard recommendation for gaming headphones. Other recommendations were the ATH-A900ti or the A900 (although the ti are supposed to be much better), 880s... etc.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 12
lol

Stax Lambda Pro or Normal. Completely worth saving up for. Should be under $500 with a SRD-7

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 12
I'd have to say that the Senn's are very comfy for gaming. I use both my HD515 and my HD555 for gaming and use a Logitech mic for Vent or TS. I prefer to use my Total Bithead amp for the Headphone sound than the internal soundcard on the computer though so I have to make sure the input and output are set in my sound settings.

BTW what wrecked_porsche said is true.
Quote:

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about the wallet!

(You'll find out why I said that soon enough...
tongue.gif
)

I have been trying to stay away from this site because I want to have something left in my wallet at the end of the day.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks everyone. I think I'll be giving the DT880's a shot. The soft earcup material, the fact that I might get an amp for it later on (once I learn more about that stuff) and your suggestions sealed the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back