Looking for high quality source of The National's song Exile Vilify
Jul 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheKisho

500+ Head-Fier
I've been looking for a place to buy a lossless (or a wav) copy of The National's song Exile Vilify but I haven't been able to find anybody selling the song other then the lossy MP3 stores and iTunes.  I could always buy the 45 single from their site but I would like to find a source where I can buy it in FLAC (or WAV) before resort buying 45 singles.  [It doesn't even have a CD single release; only a 45 single release].  Nothing against records, but I rather buy a full album rather than single.  [The song only exists as a single].  It's just easier if there is ~20mins of uninterrupted music enjoyment without having to deal with flipping the record over.  (Kind of makes it hard to do other stuff while listening to music).

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 8
For a song written for a game, there probably isn't going to be an album for it until they release it on an EP or something. And I have looked; it isn't on any of their albums or EPs, so you're probably stuck with the lossy version.

Alternatively, you could rip it from Portal 2's files yourself/have someone do it for you, as I imagine that's as high-quality as it comes for now. Like I said, wait on their next album, if they make another one.

Jul 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
For a song written for a game, there probably isn't going to be an album for it until they release it on an EP or something. And I have looked; it isn't on any of their albums or EPs, so you're probably stuck with the lossy version.

Alternatively, you could rip it from Portal 2's files yourself/have someone do it for you, as I imagine that's as high-quality as it comes for now. Like I said, wait on their next album, if they make another one.

I think might be on their next album but than again I'm guess that is 2-3 years out.  If it was a few months I would of just waited for that.  It's not on any of their other releases as it was written and released after them.  It's their newest stuff.

The copy in the VPK file is a WAV copy, but it's been modified to sound like it's being played on a crappy radio speaker, plus it's mono.  [Yep I though of that too].  (Unlike the other music; like the Portal 2 Opera which is a perfect copy).

Looks like I have to get the 45 and rip it (haha so I don't over use the single and so I can listen to it on the go).

Thanks for the response.  I don't quite know the places to buy lossless copies of more popular music.  I just stick to bandcamp for indies, and CDs for the rest.  The lossless music store sites I've seen sell a lot of music for people/bands I'm uninterested in and a very little amount of people/bands I'm interested in.  But I guess that's the fault of the music creators not seeing the market for lossless.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 8
I finally took the plunge and got the $6 45 single.  With the $10.99 shipping to Canada it's not a bad price [$16.99 total].  Still cheaper than a CD single in a store like HMV (overpriced goods).  [Again there is no CD single of this song].

Now I need to modify and fix up my ADC USB interface for the record player to digitize it [for portable use].  And eliminate the turntable's imbalance with all my pre-amps [not properly loaded; a MM vs MC issue].  But that's a topic for another thread.

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 8
There goes that idea.... I got the 45 single last night destroyed by the Postal Service, and Cinder Block's piss poor packing.  Being that it's above freezing it just warped it instead of being shattered.  If there was a good 0.600"-1.250" of padding on all sides of the single it would be perfectly intact.  I've managed to get one side to play with the use of a rudimentary record clamp.  It sounded horrible because of the deformation.  The second side, the side I bought the thing for is completely unplayable.  This makes me real sad. D':  I would love it if band would just sell FLAC copies of the single (as well as the 45 singles).  Hopefully Cinder Block has a good return & replacement policy, and can replace it with a undamaged copy.  (Hopefully at no cost to me...  This would really make me ticked if they wanted to make me pay more for something that was damaged before it got to me.  Insult to injury).

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
There goes that idea.... I got the 45 single last night destroyed by the Postal Service, and Cinder Block's piss poor packing.  Being that it's above freezing it just warped it instead of being shattered.  If there was a good 0.600"-1.250" of padding on all sides of the single it would be perfectly intact.  I've managed to get one side to play with the use of a rudimentary record clamp.  It sounded horrible because of the deformation.  The second side, the side I bought the thing for is completely unplayable.  This makes me real sad. D':  I would love it if band would just sell FLAC copies of the single (as well as the 45 singles).  Hopefully Cinder Block has a good return & replacement policy, and can replace it with a undamaged copy.  (Hopefully at no cost to me...  This would really make me ticked if they wanted to make me pay more for something that was damaged before it got to me.  Insult to injury).

Oh dang, sorry to hear about your experience. That sounds terrible!

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 8
I finally got a replacement to the first damaged one today.  The package looked like it was backed over by something at the post office (it was wedge shaped /| ).  But the record wasn't damaged really by this, it is playable this time both sides with a bit of extra tracking force.  I think it was slightly dish/bowl shaped this time only because of heat during shipping and the packing materials crammed below it, and on top of it [the bottom side had a bit more packing materials then the top did].  It's not bad enough to warrant a replacement, but I'm personally just going to buy my records at the local record shop from now on.  I'll ask them if they can order anything in, instead of doing it myself.  I'll let them deal with that hassle.  Well unless I can know for sure they aren't going to send the thing via letter mail, and it's not going to be air mailed (air mail is the worst kind of mail as the people just don't care in that department).  If they double box it, and well pack it, plus have a fair crumple zone around the record and ship it via regular parcels I'd buy more records online.

I noticed in the replacement single they had a slip in the sleeve for downloading the single 'online in "High Quality" digital audio'.  I thought is was going to be 320kbps MP3s but it turned out it's CD quality (16-bit 44.1kHz PCM) WAV files.  I check the other damaged single and it turns out it had one as well just well stuck to the inside of the crumpled sleeve.  If having a lossless digital audio copy is all you care about then $6 for the 45 and ~$10 or less of shipping is worth it even if the single doesn't make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back