looking for high end headphones that dont need an amp
Sep 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SassyPantsy

New Head-Fier
my main sources of music are my phone (htc one m8) and my pc, which has a pretty standard sound card (990xa-UD3 gygabite mobo). recently ive been looking into buying high end headphones, around the 300$ mark but it seems as if you need to have an amp to actually use them to their fullest. since i can't buy an amp (i use my phone to listen to music) should i even bother?
recommendations will also be welcome!!
aHR0cDovL20uYmVzdG9mbWVkaWEuY29tL3NmcC9pbWFnZXMvZGVzaWduL3Vzci9zbWlsaWVzL3NtaWxlLmdpZg==

p.s. im really new and i have no clue as to which specification means what so i'll be happy if you could explain it like im five y/o

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 15
p.s. im really new and i have no clue as to which specification means what so i'll be happy if you could explain it like im five y/o

Look for high sensitivity with not too high nor too low impedance. High sensitivity - 96dB or higher - means less power is needed to get louder. High impedance is a problem on voltage limited output like on smartphones, too low and some audio chips start having other problems. Try anything between 32ohms (or at the very lowest, 16ohms) to 150ohms max. Preferably closed back if you'll use them outside.

You might want to get IEMs instead for your phone though. Sensitivity goes waaaaaay higher at 100dB minimum for nearly all of them. Just pick one that has 16ohms or higher. You can get something cheap for use outside, and then spend most of your money on a headphone for use with the computer.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 15
Look for high sensitivity with not too high nor too low impedance. High sensitivity - 96dB or higher - means less power is needed to get louder. High impedance is a problem on voltage limited output like on smartphones, too low and some audio chips start having other problems. Try anything between 32ohms (or at the very lowest, 16ohms) to 150ohms max. Preferably closed back if you'll use them outside.

You might want to get IEMs instead for your phone though. Sensitivity goes waaaaaay higher at 100dB minimum for nearly all of them. Just pick one that has 16ohms or higher. You can get something cheap for use outside, and then spend most of your money on a headphone for use with the computer.

yeah it makes sense to buy 2 and im tempted to do exactly so. the thing is i'm mostly outside than in (im in the army so i spend a lot of time out of home). i thought about picking up the senheiser momentum 2 but im kinda confused with the OEi and AEi (not quite sure what they mean still). if i could however get 2 pairs i'd probably get the HD600 for home use with an amp. any thoughts?

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 15
yeah it makes sense to buy 2 and im tempted to do exactly so. the thing is i'm mostly outside than in (im in the army so i spend a lot of time out of home). i thought about picking up the senheiser momentum 2 but im kinda confused with the OEi and AEi (not quite sure what they mean still). if i could however get 2 pairs i'd probably get the HD600 for home use with an amp. any thoughts?
HD600 definitely sound better with an amp and are a great choice for home listening! I'm not sure what those terms mean for the Momentum 2, but I do know there is an On Ear model and an Over Ear model (much better IMO). There is also iOS and Android versions. Just be sure you choose the right model!

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 15
I am a big fan of the HD600. Thats a totally solid pick. I know people say how well they scale will better gear (amp/DAC)... I am curious how much more efficient an HD598 will be since you are thinking about mobility? It also depends on what sound you prefer between those as well.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd598-vs-hd600.571752/

Thats a thread about 598 versus 600. In case your curious about about either.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 15
If you can use HD600 with a little system go for it, something like O2 DAC plus some decent amp will be good option. If you can use only mobile I think you should look on IEMs maybe Campfire do not know, on ear headphones my last was Audio Technica ESW9 and I was more happy with IEMs but thats my experience, definitely do not have experience with newer model like Audeze iSine etc. but I do not have much trust in this segments...

Anyway good luck.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 15
yeah it makes sense to buy 2 and im tempted to do exactly so. the thing is i'm mostly outside than in (im in the army so i spend a lot of time out of home).

If you spend more time outside might as well get an IEM - if anything the very low impedance might be a problem for the motherboard but if you can spare a little cash you can get a simple DAC-HPamp to drive it (no need for a lot of power and all the components to deliver that clean since they're high efficiency) or wait around for newer soundcards (Soundblaster AE1 has a low output impedance, more soundcards like that might be in the works). And since you're in the Army, if you're allowed to wear 'em, you just might mitigate the effects of something like this.

i thought about picking up the senheiser momentum 2 but im kinda confused with the OEi and AEi (not quite sure what they mean still)

OEi - Over Ear

AEi - Around Ear

Look at the cup size. The AEi will have the pads around your earlobes, OEi will have them partially on top of the earlobes.

if i could however get 2 pairs i'd probably get the HD600 for home use with an amp. any thoughts?

Yeah but if you'd hardly use them, might as well get the IEM.

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 15
I'd look at an IEM solution if you're a phone-only guy. I love the LZ A4, which is super easy to drive with a seriously refined sound, and you can get a phone cable upgrade with a mic.

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 15
IEMs seem to be the best choice in your case. I highly recommend to get IEMs with a removable cable so you can replace the cable if it breaks. It's usually the most vulnerable part of the IEMs (and there are often good aftermarket alternatives). I personally like the Westone W40, but there are many other great IEMs within your price range.

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 15
i really hate IEMs... the never fit my ear and i constantly lose them lol... but i kinda see where this is going. i'll look more into the momentum 2 and if i won't get those i'll probably buy a pair of ath-m50x (or something at that range) and get a high quality pair with an amp later down the road.
Army is it? Have you killed anyone ? :gun::ksc75smile:
and no lol, i haven't killed anyone.. it's also not the US army it's part of my civic duty where i come from

thanks a lot for the many replies also, you really helped me! :)

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #13 of 15
i really hate IEMs... the never fit my ear and i constantly lose them lol... but i kinda see where this is going. i'll look more into the momentum 2 and if i won't get those i'll probably buy a pair of ath-m50x (or something at that range) and get a high quality pair with an amp later down the road.

and no lol, i haven't killed anyone.. it's also not the US army it's part of my civic duty where i come from

Well you could give a searched in two, Philips Fidelio X2 and the Grade SR325e, both do not need amplification, maybe a Schlait Fulla 2 at the most but both are easy to be drivers and are in your budget.

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 15

Fwiw, I might prefer the Status Audio CB-1 to the Audio Technica ATH-M50x. The CB-1 is certainly cheaper, more comfortable and arguably has a smoother FR than the M50x with fewer treble peaks (but less bass). The Philips Fidelio X2 is also worth looking at for open back direct from phone. A bit more expensive though.

On a side note, lots of new portable amps are coming out soon, so if you're in no rush, I'd wait for reviews for the new hot gear to start coming in before making a purchase decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back