Looking for help to find my first Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones
Mar 24, 2020 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kalli

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm looking for my first pair of Bluetooth closed-back over-ear (on-ear if this is comparable) headphones. I will mostly use them with a smartphone while on the go (city, train, ...). I don't want to spend more than 200€ and I'm from Germany.
Most of the time I'm listening to classical music (mainly piano, solo or with orchestra). In rare cases I also listen to anything similar to rock music, so it would be nice if the headphones wouldn't fail totally here.
A lot of Bluetooth headphones have ANC those days. If it works without changing the sound signature that's fine. But with good passive noise isolation I may not need it at all (your thoughts on that would be nice).

I already tried a bunch of headphones (from below 100€ up to 200€). The below 100€ are mostly similar to those hyped TaoTronics which are overall too bass heavy and ANC totally changing the sound. So i figured I need to try a few more expensive ones. I will list a few headphones in no particular order and try to keep the list up to date in my progress:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT
Pros: controls, build quality
Cons: a bit heavy on my head, "too analytic" sound signature for just listening, not enough passive sound isolation

Sennheiser HD 450BT
Pros: controls, build quality, sound signature
Cons: really small ear-pads which heated up my ears, ANC didn't change the sound signature a lot but added some weird "wobbling" sound into silent passages of music

Audio-Technica ATH-SR50BT
Pros: build quality, really like the sound signature (wired, Bluetooth, ANC on/off)
Cons: non-usable touch controls (at least for me), some pressure at the top of my head after about 1-2h

AKG K361-BT
Pros: simple but responsive touch controls, really comfortable, sound signature
Cons: minimal Bluetooth connection stutter every few minutes, seems to be a bit dated overall (micro USB, no aptX), lower parts of the earpads are always pressed together when not wearing

AKG K371-BT?
May be an upgraded K361-BT?​

Marshall Monitor Bluetooth?
Worth to give it a shot? They're quite a good deal (125€) on Amazon at the moment.​

Cleer Enduro 100?
I did read good things about them here in the forum, but they seem to be hard to buy in Germany.​

As you can see I couldn't decide yet and still trying to find the headphones which are perfect for me. So I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or anything else that may help me in the progress.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 10
In my experience with the K371s (wired), they are a significant jump from the K361s. They also have reasonably good sound isolation (better than most) if you can get the right fit. Don't know if that necessarily applies to the BT version though...

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 10
OH, nearly forgot about this post since noone answered :wink:

Actually I decided to go way higher in my budget since I invested so much time researching already, which makes it kinda worth it. (I that makes any sense)
At the moment I am waiting for the Shure Aonic 50 to be released in Germany and then I'll decide between those and the Dali IO-6.

Still thanks alot for your answer though.

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 10
OH, nearly forgot about this post since noone answered :wink:

Actually I decided to go way higher in my budget since I invested so much time researching already, which makes it kinda worth it. (I that makes any sense)
At the moment I am waiting for the Shure Aonic 50 to be released in Germany and then I'll decide between those and the Dali IO-6.

Still thanks alot for your answer though.

Awesome! I have the same way of thinking :joy:
I usually enter into researching mode thinking my budget is fairly low and then after looking around for a long time, I go, "Well, I've already done all this research, I might as well spend a little extra to get what I want". Its a dangerous game, but I'm usually always happy with what I end up getting.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the recommendation, my roomy has them, but i don't like their sound.

As I already mentioned in a post above I increased my budget quite a bit and going for either the Dali IO-6 or the Shure Aonic 50.
Still waiting for the Shure's to get released in Germany to test them.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 10
Take a look at the Dali IO4.
It might fit your needs perfectly, but with 299 € a bit out of your budget, i guess.

I keep waiting for the Panda to come and make a comparison between Panda and IO4 for my next wireless purchase.
Need a bit more space in the cups as well to prevent heating up too fast.

Will be used at my detailing business to work with.

Beste Grüße
Chris :)

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 10
Hey hey, what did you decide in the end? I know it's been 4 years, but maybe you can also report on how's the actual day to day usage with your Headphones. Btw, I'm now either io-6, aonic 50 or Technics eah-a800 or ath-50xbt2. Since I'm using pixel 8, it supports ldac, so maybe not io-6. I've tried px7 s2 and the Sennheisers m4, loved the m4, kinda hated px7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back