Looking for help on building a sound system with LOTS of bass
Mar 3, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 44
Lot's of bass might be a pipe dream for $400, that's the price of an entry-level subwoofer these days, not including amplification, processing, and speakers. And to me "good bass" starts with at minimum 2 subwoofers, and really requires 4 subs for full bass saturation in a room. Although if you hunt around for used gear on ebay or craigslist, you can get some good deals.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 44
All desktop speakers will use a sub. Put it right under the desk and pointed at you so you feel it. You won't find computer speakers to do bass without a powered sub.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 44
Buy this sub: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

Look for the JBL LSR 305s on sale for under $300 (they have been on and off sale for the last few months). You'll be all set :)

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 44
I was thinking about getting the Logitech Z906 what is your opinion on it?

Desktop computer multimedia speakers sets are no match for real studio monitors and an entry level home audio sub. You want bass? Buy a real sub. Take it from the guy who has dual 18" subs in his living room :D

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 44
You just looking for something to shake your room or do you plan to listen to music the way it was meant to be ?

If you are just looking to shake your room just get a sound card that supports 7.1 audio and buy some cheap ghetto $30 comp speakers and then for the left and right channel buy 2x Polk Audio PSW10. The bass will overpower everything. Should run you about $300

If you want something that is capable of bass when its there and still able to hear other parts of the music and able to play video games accurately get any 8' monitor.  I was beyond lucky when I got 2x Rokit 8's Brand New on clearance for $300 a pair. At volume 24 of 100 it shakes my room. And even at this volume I can perfectly make out other instruments and pin point locations on games.  

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #13 of 44
alright ive been looking around and i see that the BIC Acoustech PL-200 seems to be really good whats your opinion on it?

BIC PL-200 is a very good sub for the money. Other subs in that price range to consider are the NXG NX-BAS-500 and the Mordaunt Short Aviano 7. All three of these are excellent value subwoofers that will outperform many in their price range and are much better subs than the previously mentioned Polk PSW10.

If you are going to use these in a 5.1 setup with your computer sound card, then any of the three will hook up fine. If you are going to use them with 2.1, I would get the NXG or the Aviano 7. The BIC PL-200 only has a single LFE RCA input which means it has to be hooked up to a subwoofer output. Windows subwoofer channel output from Windows sound cards do not work properly with 2.1 audio--you have to have a 5.1 multichannel setup. On the other hand, the NXG and Aviano 7 have left/right RCA inputs and outputs. So you would run the left/right output from your computer to the sub, and then run a cable from the audio output on the sub to your speakers.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 44
What does it matter the "quality" of a subwoofer? By having a subwoofer you are inherently distorting the music.  You more then likely have 2 ****ty speakers that can only go down to 80hz if you are lucky and then have a sub that can only go up to 120hz. The end result is a left/right sound that lacks bass and a middle sound that is pure bass.  This is why I mentioned the polk audio because it makes bass, makes a lot of it and at a decent price point. At least with 2 of them you can attempt to even out the sound.  

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 44
What does it matter the "quality" of a subwoofer?

Huh? :confused:

By having a subwoofer you are inherently distorting the music.  

Did someone misinform you, or are you making this up on your own?

You more then likely have 2 ****ty speakers that can only go down to 80hz if you are lucky and then have a sub that can only go up to 120hz.

There are plenty of budget speakers that can play down below 80hz. And no need for a sub to go above 120hz if you have speakers that can be crossed over lower.

The end result is a left/right sound that lacks bass and a middle sound that is pure bass.  

Bass becomes omnidirectional as one goes down in frequency. Setup properly, this should not be a problem.

This is why I mentioned the polk audio because it makes bass, makes a lot of it and at a decent price point.

The PSW10 is an OK sub for $100. But it doesn't have the sound quality of the BIC PL-200 the OP asked about or the subs I mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back