Looking for help choosing DAC
Feb 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rpveld

Head-Fier
Hi all,

This is my first post and I am sorry it is a Question.
I am lurking here for some time now and I am trying to assemble a home set for use with my PC.
From reading here I think I already know what Headphones and Amp I am going to buy.
This will be the DT880 and LD MK III or IV.
Now the only thing I need will be a DAC. I don't really understand what a DAC does in combination with a Amp.
As the MK III is a tube amp, does this mean the DAC needs extra considerations or would any DAC do?
Would it be wiser to buy a SS Amp, like the MK V, in combination with a DAC.
Which DAC would do in my situation. (Budget around $250)

Also is the DT880 a good Headphone for listening to Blues? This is what I mainly listen to, but once in a while I also like to listen to some Rock.

As you may have noticed I am new at this, so any help would be mostly appreciated.

BTW , source is lossless, OS is XP Pro.
Thank You

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi,

Im not sure if I fully understand your question but a DAC is a digital to Analog converter. The headphone amp is exactly that, an amplifier for your headset.

I personally have a USB-DAC so that is I can take the music from my laptop and plug it into my stereo. It works excellent because almost my entire music collection is on my PC, so this is huge for me.

So basically, I guess that's the question you should ask yourself. I went with the FUBAR III because it has a USB Dac AND a headphone amp. If you have already decided on the amp you want, the Fubar II is just a USB DAC without the amp. Very affordable (in your price range) and I'd highly recommend the Firestone Audio line. I've been extremely impressed.

Hope that helps
AAF

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you AlwaysAFan.

I am sorry if my question is not clear, English is not my native language so it is kind of difficult for me to express myself clearly.
What I would like to know is the following:

I want to buy a tube headphone amp like little Dot MK III or even MK IV.
Since my entire music collection is on my PC I think I need a DAC.
The question is, do I need a special (Tube) DAC since the Amp is a Tube Amp or can I use a normal (USB) DAC.

Thank You

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpveld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question is, do I need a special (Tube) DAC since the Amp is a Tube Amp or can I use a normal (USB) DAC.

I haven't helped out much so I'll try an answer. But first a question
What kind of outputs does your source (computer) have?

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 8
My PC has a Coaxial plus Optical S/pdif output.
I am using onboard sound.

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpveld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you AlwaysAFan.

I am sorry if my question is not clear, English is not my native language so it is kind of difficult for me to express myself clearly.

I want to buy a tube headphone amp like little Dot MK III or even MK IV.

Thank You

If you just want to send your audio from your PC to your Home Stereo/surround sound system all you need is a USB DAC. That's currently all I use.

My setup is basically JUST the Fubar III right now but Im really considering buying a Big Joe Power Amp and a Power Supplier for even better quality. Anyways, my setup is very simple compared to most people. I just have the Fubar III connected to my PC via USB. Then I have the outputs of the Fubar going to my home stereo/surround sound unit. To tell you the truth my home system isn't anything special but I have 99% of my digital media on my computer and this works absolutely fantastic for my needs. The nice thing about this is the Fubar III came with its own set of High Quality RCA interconnects (At least at Miniature Audio where I ordered mine they did). Very nice cables as a "bonus" add in.

Hope that helps....
AAF

P.S I know Firestone/MA sells a Tube Head as well but to be honest I haven't heard the SQ so I can't really recommend/comment one way or the other
confused.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, all you need is a USB DAC.

Recently, the E-MU 0404 USB has been popular and is a good value in the United States. As for the Netherlands, I cannot say. Might as well give it a look anyhow, just to see if it interests you.

The E-MU has two 1/4 TOS outputs on the backside, all you would need to connect to a dedicated amp such as the Little Dot series are two RCA female - 1/4 male adapters. From there you would connect your RCA cables to the adapters and run them to the amp.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 8
OK it's clear to me on the DAC now. Just have to make a choice on the Brand.
I just read Penchum's review on the Little Dot MK V SS Amp.
Now I am confused. I like my music to be clear and accurate so a SS Amp should be a better choice for me. (going the safe route here, no tube rolling
wink.gif
)
Man I do have a lot to learn, I better get on with my reading here.
As I see it now a MK V would be a good first Amp and I can always look for a Tube Amp later.
Now I have to decide on the HeadPhones.

Thanks for the answers so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back