Looking for help buying a starter record player + amp
Mar 2, 2014 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Decorus

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm looking for help with buying my first record player. I have little to no knowledge in the area, but have recently gotten into the scene and experienced first hand the amazing sound you can get with a proper system.

My budget is in the $300-385 area and I'll mostly be listening to electronica/hip-hop and some classical and rock records.
I've heard there are alot of factors to take into consideration therefore I'd like a system that can be easily upgraded later.

I've already found two starters, but they are abit out of my price range: Denon DP29F (225$) along with a Denon PMA-520AE (333$) amp. Give in mind these are converted norwegian prices so they're abit more expensive, if possible to order through the .co.uk amazon page any links would be helpful

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 6
Mar 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 6
I will mainly be using my headphones as I've got the NAD VisoHP50, compared to my Z623 speakers. On a students budget you gotta do what you gotta do :)

Will these work with headphones if I get a proper amp?

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 6
So far as I know, all you need is an amp but I no very little about turntables--only what's cheap but got good reviews. If no one comes through on this during the next few days, ask in the dedicated source components forum.

The headphones should be fine. I haven't heard them, but they have a very good reputation. As they were designed to sound somewhat speaker-like, you should enjoy them more than many others.

Please let me know how it goes because I enjoy vinyl more and want to get back into it someday.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 6
  Will these work with headphones if I get a proper amp?

So far as I know, all you need is an amp

A TT will also need phono preamp that is matched to the type of cartridge that is mounted on the TT, so check if it has an MM or MC type cartridge before researching a proper phono pre for it. Think of the cartridge as the DAC chip/s and the phono pre is the analog output stage.

On a students budget you gotta do what you gotta do :)

A proper TT set-up, as far as I understand a "student's budget," might not work. For one, as a student, you have to know how to work the TT, because you wouldn't want to spend on having the local Hi-Fi shop (if you even have one) technician to set it up properly for you. You have to mount the cartridge initially, then over time you have to check the level of the tone arm, check if it has proper pressure on contact or it might be pressing down too hard on the vinyl, at some point you might have to make sure the motor is working properly, you might have to replace the tone arm, etc.* If for example you didn't learn to do all these from your Dad using his TT, you'd have to learn to do these yourself if you're on a limited budget, and that also means you might screw up an otherwise affordable and nice TT like the Orbit. Then while you're listening you might as well do so next to a bowl of rice krispies because while you're snapping your fingers the TT will be playing some crackles and pops with it.

Just an estimate, the Orbit will be around $180, but I'm not sure if it comes with a cartridge, which could be another $100; I think the cheapest NAD preamp is around, what, $150? If you don't have an existing vinyl collection to use it with I suggest reconsidering all this. Not only will you spend the $330 to $450 on the hardware, you'd have to spend on the music in that format too, which is kind of expensive for enjoying rice krispies. And then there's shipping and maybe import duties, plus the headphone amp, although you can opt for the Schiit Magni for only $100+shipping.

*Admittedly aside form automatic tone arms maybe TT's are less intensive to maintain these days, but these are all I know from when my Dad and his brother had a Sansui set-up at home until the 1990s when they went for CDPs; hell, even my Dad just uses a computer nowadays, and my brother got him a Grado SR80 and I have no idea what DAC-Amp.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, I remembered something about a pre-amp, but I grew up with it and simply to it for granted and didn't look into my Dad's set up.

The Orbit comes with an AT cartridge, though the reviewer (Guttenberg) recommends upgrading to a $75 Shure + a $30 gauge to mount it. I'd probably buy a Grado, if theirs work with this model. But I'm in no hurry, as I'm upgrading my CD set up with a new player and cables, and maybe another amp.

Edit: Guttenberg recommends a $100 NAD pre-amp, PP 2i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back