Looking for Help and Recommendations on DAC/AMP and headphones
Nov 6, 2014 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bmanneedshelp

New Head-Fier
I listen to a ton of music at my desk at work and want to get more from FLAC.  Therefore, I am looking for something more portable at first.  Is a portable DAC/AMP worth it when listening to FLAC streaming?  I would need to plug it into my laptop and my laptop has nothing special.  It is just an average laptop, no upgraded sound cards or DACs.  Any recommendations or advice?

I listen to mostly folk and rock and Americana and indie and guitars and drums and vocals etc.  Just trying to paint a picture.  I want to achieve very true and realistic and accurate sound quality and hear the fine details.  I read a lot of chatter on here about precise/technical vs. smooth - what does that mean?      

Would a portable DAC/AMP help with that?  Any recommendations for a set of over or on ear headphones?  

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 4
What's your budget?  If it's high enough, I would recommend a portable amp/DAC and a set of over ear headphones.  "Smooth" means no sharp peaks or dips in the frequency response.  Precise/technical can be smooth at the same time, I think.  

Since you listen at work, I assume you need closed headphones too?

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 4
$500 - $600 all in, maybe more. I don't think I need closed headphones, I would probably prefer and be just fine with open ones. I have an office and my work environment isn't hectic or loud etc.

Recommendations for DAC/amp that's more portable than not?

Headphone recommendations for the type of music I listen to?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 4
If open would be suitable (remember they leak a lot of sound), maybe try getting your hands on the Philips Fidelio X2 when you can.  I don't know which are the good portable amps/DACs though, someone else will have to chime in on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back