Looking for Help $300 - $400 or Chump Change for Many of You
Apr 19, 2017 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

thubes

New Head-Fier
Looking for some advice. I have a pair of ATH EW9s that I've enjoyed for a couple of years. I love music, but am more interested in investing music dollars into saving for a setup at home than headphones (which I know is probably sacrilege here). I've recently changed jobs though and am in an office setting with lots of cubes around. I want to switch to a closed back over-ear to seal out some of the sound around me and not leak to my colleagues. It doesn't need to be a perfect seal as I'd like to not be oblivious when my boss calls my name. I won't use them walking around. It'll likely be home, office, starbucks, or travel and I don't care about noise cancelling. I'm going to be using spotify premium and either my iPhone 7 (stupid lack of jack) or work computer - which is nothing special.

The idea of wireless is really appealing from a usefulness standpoint and I've done a lot of research on the p7s. I've read some disconcerting reviews on Amazon on distortion after a couple of months that I hope are unfounded. I really want to enjoy my sound though even if critical listening is not the end goal. So I've considered giving up my wireless dream and getting the Meze Classics 99 possibly paired with a simple Fiio E10k out of my work computer. Couple of questions then because I can't find a comparison, how do the Meze sound compared to the Wireless P7s? Have you heard of reliability issues with the p7s? And, if my total budget is $300 to $400 are there other setups you would consider?

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Looking for some advice. I have a pair of ATH EW9s that I've enjoyed for a couple of years. I love music, but am more interested in investing music dollars into saving for a setup at home than headphones (which I know is probably sacrilege here).

Not sure why you'd think that when nearly everybody has a headphone set up at home. For one, most of the best headphones are fully open back, with basically just chicken wire preventing foreign objects like fingers from poking the headphone drivers, so the noise floor will be insane. On top of that, I wouldn't push a shopping cart around just to carry an amp.

...And a Tesla Power Wall.

Also, many people are on headphones because they don't have the space, much less a dedicated room that they can use only for speakers and acoustically treat to deal with reflections and sound going in to interfere with their music and sound going out for neighbors (or the wife) to have something to complain about. Give them a suburban home and a job that won't require driving an hour to where they work downtown right now (or a house bigger than their current suburban home) plus an appropriate budget, and I won't be surprised if many people here will jump to a Dynaudio Contour S5.4 driven by monobloc power amps.

I've recently changed jobs though and am in an office setting with lots of cubes around. I want to switch to a closed back over-ear to seal out some of the sound around me and not leak to my colleagues. It doesn't need to be a perfect seal as I'd like to not be oblivious when my boss calls my name. I won't use them walking around. It'll likely be home, office, starbucks, or travel and I don't care about noise cancelling. I'm going to be using spotify premium and either my iPhone 7 (stupid lack of jack) or work computer - which is nothing special.

The idea of wireless is really appealing from a usefulness standpoint and I've done a lot of research on the p7s. I've read some disconcerting reviews on Amazon on distortion after a couple of months that I hope are unfounded. I really want to enjoy my sound though even if critical listening is not the end goal. So I've considered giving up my wireless dream and getting the Meze Classics 99 possibly paired with a simple Fiio E10k out of my work computer. Couple of questions then because I can't find a comparison, how do the Meze sound compared to the Wireless P7s? Have you heard of reliability issues with the p7s? And, if my total budget is $300 to $400 are there other setups you would consider?

Super cheap: Meze 99 with Schiit Fulla 2 (and a power bank - it has separate USB ports for digital audio and power, so you can easily use a smartphone as source if needed)

Maxing out the budget : Fiio Q5 (not out yet, but it has BT, so you can use the iPhone 7 wireless) and Focal Spirit Classic (under $200 on Amazon right now)

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Looking for some advice. I have a pair of ATH EW9s that I've enjoyed for a couple of years. I love music, but am more interested in investing music dollars into saving for a setup at home than headphones (which I know is probably sacrilege here). I've recently changed jobs though and am in an office setting with lots of cubes around. I want to switch to a closed back over-ear to seal out some of the sound around me and not leak to my colleagues. It doesn't need to be a perfect seal as I'd like to not be oblivious when my boss calls my name. I won't use them walking around. It'll likely be home, office, starbucks, or travel and I don't care about noise cancelling. I'm going to be using spotify premium and either my iPhone 7 (stupid lack of jack) or work computer - which is nothing special.

The Meze 99 Classics will run out of a phone just fine no real need for a amp. Can't compare sound as I do not have or heard the P7's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back