Looking for HEAVY music
Oct 25, 2009 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kloan

1000+ Head-Fier
I need more variety for my workout music. Been listening to Gojira, but I'm getting tired of the same 3 albums I've been listening to.

I like really HEAVY/ANGRY music for working out to. But I don't like whining, screaming, guitar wanking (needless soloing). Not a fan of the orchestral metal either. If there's any coherent singing, it needs to be good, and not cheesy.

Any recommendations?

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 22
August Burns Red
The Agony Scene
The Devil Wears Prada
In Flames
Megadeath
Underoath
Amon Amorth
Haste The Day
Project 86
Extol
All That Remains
Living Sacrfice
KillSwitch Enage
Disturbed
Becoming The Archtype
As Cities Burn
Equilibrium

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 22
Try these albums... if you think you can handle them.

Strapping Young Lad - City
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
The Haunted - s/t
The Dillineger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Misery Loves Co. - Not Like Them
Keelhaul - Subject to Change Without Notice
Napalm Death - Diatribes
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
The Mark of Cain - This Is This

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 22
In Flames is most excellent. I'd also check out Isis and Zao.

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 22
Converge, Ahab, Botch, Textbook Traitors, Leviathan-era Mastodon, and if you really want to go extreme try some grindcore like Discordance Axis or Napalm Death.

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 22
Right on, thanks for the replies. I recognize a few mentioned, as well have heard a few.

I'm going to check them all out and see what I can find that I like. Will be good to have some more music to listen to while working out so I don't get so distracted skipping tracks, searching for a decent iTunes radio station, etc. I swear 1/4 my workout is spent trying to find something decent to listen to.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 22
Try some oldschool thrash like Exodus, Kreator, Anthrax , Testament and similar.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 22
If you want heavy, as in, hopelessly crushing, Funeral Doom genre is what you want.

Ahab
Wormphlegm
Catacombs
Woods Of Belial

Thing is that it isnt exactly ANGRY, as in angsty way. This genre is usually scary oriented, or induce a feeling of cold hate. Not sure if this is good music for work out as this stuff is sort of "passive" so to speak. But you wanted heavy, this is as heavy as I can think of.
tongue.gif

If you look want heavy as fast and aggressive style, Death and Thrash Metal. Some groove metal and metalcore/deathcore will also do I think.

Sepultura - Arise
Malevolent Creation - Ten Commandments album
Solstice - Solstice
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Jungle Rot - Slaughter Of The Weak
Rotten Sound - Exit (grindcore. short chaotic songs, fast and angry as hell)

ALL OF THE ABOVE will rely either Cookie Monster vocals/growls or angry shouting. If that is not what you want, I'm not sure what you want as usually the really have sht also has rather extreme style singing.

For milder stuff.

Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Mastery - Lethal Legacy (no vocals at all. Instrumental Thrash)
Machine Head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back