Looking for Headset with Great Sound
May 16, 2019 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

piehead222

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for headphones with a mic that sounds decent, which also sounds very good when listening to music. I've noticed with a lot of these "gaming" headsets that bass/mids sound pretty weak or muddy, or they have some weird eq that poorly affects music. The mic should be serviceable, but music audio is my primary concern. I am looking within the price range of 100 - 400, so if anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

May 16, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd recommend getting the headphones you want then add a detachable Antlion ModMic to them. Something like the sennheiser hd-58x and a modmic 5 would run you like $220 all new. throw in a couple hundred more for something like the schiit modi/magni dac and amp and you'll be in heaven for quite some time. Lots of options

May 17, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 7
Personally I'm quite happy for with my hd58x and audioengine D3, seems more than capable of driving these headphones.

A good area mic isn't a bad option either. I've been using a Logitech usb mic for 10+ years and unless your trying to get very high end recordings it works quite well.

May 17, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 7
The Audeze Mobius is a good choice if you want/need closed-back headphones. Comes with a custom detachable mic, is wireless, has built in volume and mic volume controls, can do 7.1 channel (when connected with a wire), and has head tracking and 3D audio based on head tracking. It's also planarmagnetic and has a ridiculously durable headband.

May 20, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Or if you want to be fancy, $60 gets you a good studio sounding dynamic microphone, add another $15 for an arm you can clamp to your desk for hands free and have great sound on both ends. I would NEVER buy a headset with a built in mic again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back