Looking for headphones
Nov 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rnewman1811

New Head-Fier
I need help looking for new over the ear headphones.  I have been researching for a long time now and I just can't seem to find one.  I want a headphone that has really good highs, Mids, and lows for an audiophile.  I want it to be capable with my I pod as well and also look great to.  I was looking at the ath- m50's, but I don't really like how the cable isn't detachable at all and the case isn't very protective.  I also looked at the V Moda M-100's which seem great, but some reviews say that the bass is overpowering and plus it is expensive.  I can go up to $300 at most.  Thanks.

other headphones I have looked at

Sennheiser HD 598
Beyerdynamic custom one pro
Parrot Zik
V Mode LP
Grado Labs headphones

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 10
Have you looked at the Shure SRH840?  It fits your requirements of working with an ipod (it really does not need an amp at all) and having a detachable cable.  It doesn't come with a case if that is a requirement, but it does come with a carrying pouch.  Maybe you could buy a generic headphone case.  I like the way the SRH840 sounds, although it is the only quality pair of headphones I have ever owned.  However, I will be getting the DT 880 Premium VERY soon in the mail.

Are you looking for noise isolation?  Would you rather have a big soundstage?  The SRH840 is very good with noise isolation, but since it has a closed design, it does not have a big soundstage.  Good luck with your search.  I know from experience that it can be time-consuming, confusing, and even overwhelming.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 10
I would like them to be isolated. ive looked at open headphones and i think that they wouldnt work for me consudering the sound leakage, and like what i just said, there not isolating. Im ok with a long cable and id be fine and also detachable. if the just came in a pouch. A big soundstage would be great to, thanks for the suggestion.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 10
If you can stretch your budget to $320 to $350, the Sony MDR 7520 is a great choice.

For most all options, set aside about $30 for an after market case--if that's important to you.  Only a few headphones (and even fewer if you don't use an amp) come with a protective case.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Ill check them out to, and i was also windering if v moda is a good choice. The reviews on the headphones are always very different so i was wondering if anybody would suggest them and why or why not.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Ill check them out to, and i was also windering if v moda is a good choice. The reviews on the headphones are always very different so i was wondering if anybody would suggest them and why or why not.

Depending on the model, VModa can be a good option for those favoring a bass heavy sound.  Many often find them to be uncomfortable.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 10
What about the custom one pros? The same thing goes for them as well when it comes to reviews. Also, i checked our the sony's and im gonna put them into consideration so thanks for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back