Looking for headphones
Sep 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cortothecore

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a newcomer to this website, this being my first post. The reason I came here was to get some advice on what headphones i should get. For years, I've been listening to my music with skullcandy headphones and earbuds and I am just now  starting to realize what a terrible brand it really is. I just recently sold my skullcrushers to a friend for $40, leaving me with only their "smokin' buds" for both my ipod and PC. Right now, I'm only looking for a pair of over-ear headphones to replace said buds. $100 is the most I'm willing to spend on a pair, and I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 429s (with the song control remote on the cord). I listen to a lot of electronic music, so I would like something with good bass response. Does anyone know about the bass response of the Sennheisers? If anyone knows better for around the same price, feel free to share :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 10
Those Senns are probably what you're looking for. 
There aren't many (if any) headphones at that price that beat it for sound quality and comfort. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 10
  Those Senns are probably what you're looking for. 
There aren't many (if any) headphones at that price that beat it for sound quality and comfort. 

Well chances are he's going to like what we call the "consumer sound" which is a nice bass line, forward mids and slightly recessed treble

that being said let me ask you some questions! 

Do you want Open or Closed Headphones? 
Where are your listening to your headphones, school, work, on the go?
are you considering buying an amp [cheapest one is $29 and it works nicely for bass boosting]?
In addition what country do you live in [this affects what's avalible to you for recommendation] ?
In your own words, what are your favorite Songs, and why do you like them? Be specific and don't worry about being techinical! 

Lastly, are you open to buying used headphones [you an save a LOT of money that way] the Head Fi For sale thread is full of people willing to help you save some SERIOUS cash by buying their old headphones! 

Here a few options from there in your price range 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676818/beyerdynamic-dt250-80-price-drop

Audio Technica ATH M50, this is a good starting headphone for a lot of users, but the answers to my questions help know if it's right for you! 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/680507/fs-audio-technica-ath-m50-monitor-headphones

Ultrasone HFI-780 [I could buy pick this up in person :O]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658663/ultrasone-hfi-780-modded-cable-upgrade

So a few options, to start with. And if you don't mind used, buying here on head fi is a great way to start getting into this thread and this hobby! You get a new headphone and a new friend :D 

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 10
Hello!

Why not the Sennheiser HD439? You can always get a after market cable with in line remote control! Otherwise, the Ultimate Ears UE4000 is a great pair of on ear headphone for that genre in case you change your mind for on-ear headphones xD

Billson :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 10
Hello!

Why not the Sennheiser HD439? You can always get a after market cable with in line remote control! Otherwise, the Ultimate Ears UE4000 is a great pair of on ear headphone for that genre in case you change your mind for on-ear headphones xD

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

He is coming from BASS heavy Skull Candies, so something like the M50, or a classic BASS HEAVY Ultrasone might be more farmillar with him, the Senn House sound might b a little to differant than what he is used to,  for his tastes, 

still a good idea though! 

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 10
He is coming from BASS heavy Skull Candies, so something like the M50, or a classic BASS HEAVY Ultrasone might be more farmillar with him, the Senn House sound might b a little to differant than what he is used to,  for his tastes, 

still a good idea though! 

Haha never tested any Skullcandy headphones xD not a huge fan of it although my friends are... One of them owns a Skullcandy Aviator and he seem to love it to death although I have never asked him how it sound xD

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 10
Haha never tested any Skullcandy headphones xD not a huge fan of it although my friends are... One of them owns a Skullcandy Aviator and he seem to love it to death although I have never asked him how it sound xD

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

When was first getting into Head Fi, I was a BASS HEAD, so I owned a few Skull Candy iems and headphones [gawd I remember wanting to save up for a "nice" pair of skill candies q.q]

*holds gun to head* I can only thank video games from pulling me to the Dt 880, as teh Dt 880 saved my ears :D

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 10
When was first getting into Head Fi, I was a BASS HEAD, so I owned a few Skull Candy iems and headphones [gawd I remember wanting to save up for a "nice" pair of skill candies q.q]

*holds gun to head* I can only thank video games from pulling me to the Dt 880, as teh Dt 880 saved my ears :D

Skullcandies are not horribly overpriced but the build quality (with exception of mix-master) feels rather mediocre

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Those HFI-780's are a great price, a little beat up but they scratch if you look at them the wrong way.
Sones are one of the BEST for EDM and electronic that you will find anywhere in that price range.
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 10
  Those HFI-780's are a great price, a little beat up but they scratch if you look at them the wrong way.
Sones are one of the BEST for EDM and electronic that you will find anywhere in that price range.
beerchug.gif

thank you 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back