Looking for headphones with more features than the price!
Nov 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Raxater

New Head-Fier
Mentlegen,

I'm new here so pardon any nooberish manners or badhabits of mine...

But here's the deal: I've been wandering and scrolling through Google for months now in desperate hope of finding some actual headphones that match my lifestyle and meets the features I wish it to have. So I come in vain to you people (first forum I actually fell on).

I've had some DNA Monster Pros for over 6 months now. Yep. HAD.
They broke barely after a month and a half I bought them. And yesterday the other side of the headband snapped as well after nothing but normal use.

Despite the cheap and lame quality of this capitalist selfish crappy brand's headphones, I must admit I fell in love with my DNA's features.

Therefore, I've been looking for a better deal with similar specs at a lower price in order not to be dumped if they break, knowing that today's products are made to deliver a shorter lifetime than it took you time to actually get them...

For those pointy features I'm aiming for, they're really precise.

I'll go short on it, I need:

-Over-The-Ear Headphones (It may have sound isolation or not. Idc since anyway I'll need to hear it if someone calls my name...)
-Durable and resistant. Over a year warranty if possible. (I live in Quebec, Canada. Temperatures will get sharp cold and melting hot. I suppose the cold is what weakened my DNAs. Plus, I'll be hanging them around more often than my keys, wether in a bag or around the neck or in a hard case hanging on my belt. They'll have to bear a lot.)
-Foldable. And come with a hard case as well (but that's mainly optional). (Since I'm bringing them everywhere I wish them to be slightly compact to protect them!)
-MOST OF ALL. Removable cable. I'll be putting them in bags or in corners, and I wish not to have some cheap wires constantly hanging by the two ends of the headphones. Plus I wanna switch between some HD cords for better sound quality and control buttons cords too so I need them to have ports on them.
-Style: I'm aiming for black headphones. No other colour. Especially not white, I don't want them to yellow over time. I also want them to have a minimum design quality, but that's also mainly optional.
-IMPORTANT: Sound. I'll be using them for a lot of different uses. I'll be mostly listening to music (duh) everywhere in the city, mostly electro or some other deep bass stuff (i.e. Justice, Pendulum, etc.). But I also have my laptop with me as often as my clothes on. I often use it for gaming or watching videos, so I want some distinct bass. Stuff that'll give me goose bumps whenever I hear Heavy yell "CRY SOME MOOOOOORE" and spin his minigun. Same for those shiny explosions. I'll also watch some movies while laying on my bed with those on. So I wish to have at least a good surrounding. And finally, for all of those uses, I want the best sound quality, the most crystal clear I can get for my budget!
-And last but not least, the scariest part. Budget. I'm limiting myself to 150$ for the headphones, taxes/shipping excl..

So yep. I'm going deep for a budget this low.
But I hope you guys can find the best matching deal for my needs at this price!

Cuz I doubt Monster's gonna fix my headphones any time soon.

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 14
audio technica m50x although I don't know how it will answer to temperature problem but:
- it's over ear
- durable
- foldable but no hard case
- detachable cable and they come with 3 different type of cables
- the bass is really good but no soundstage, a monitoring headphone which means clear sound.
- the price should be around 150$

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 14
Are audio technica's Mxx's really that durable? I mean... by looking at the appearance of the plastic and the headband, they seem like slight excess bending will break the structure immediately. Especially the headband, the fabric seems poor and fragile.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 14
  Are audio technica's Mxx's really that durable? I mean... by looking at the appearance of the plastic and the headband, they seem like slight excess bending will break the structure immediately. Especially the headband, the fabric seems poor and fragile.

The m50 is pretty durable especially for the price but it really isn't anything too special. The headband and cables are fine but the bads start cracking within a few years (which is replaceable but annoying)

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 14

http://www.cuddledown.com/itemdy00.aspx?t1=Z89029+001+01&srccode=NXCZC6&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=2014&gclid=CjwKEAiAhcGjBRDot_fjjtPKrgsSJACNYh765NVFKzdDvOV8-1q4dJmKW8DegtCN_8DPJGZTMmitARoCdnvw_wcB

:p

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 14

There's no need to worry about the durability of the plastic parts of the M50. I've had a pair of the old-style coiled cord M50 that I've been using for the past 3 years of so. I treat them real rough, listen to them nearly every day, transport back and forth to work, frequent business travel, constantly stuffing them into a backpack or cargo pocket with no protective case, shoving them into a drawer, letting my kids use them, etc. No damage at all to the plastic.

What did get damaged is the pleather on the headband and the end of the old style cord. However, I recently replaced them with the newer M50x, and the pleather on the headband feels thicker/tougher, and the new style removable cords shouldn't be susceptible to the damage like the old one (which terminated in a loose fitting metal plug). Of course, you’ll have to replace the earpads every couple of years (depending on use), but they’re only $20 for replacements (get the originals, the aftermarket ones on ebay and amazon are horrible).

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 14
I live in Hamilton (I hope you enjoy us throwing your Alouettes out of the playoffs today!) but I was looking for a pair of cans for similar reasons as you, I found the SRH 440s on sale so I gave them a go! I found they work GREAT in the elements. and I upgraded to the 840 pads and they sound even better, I walk about an hour to the gym semi often and found I don't get hot enough to seat all over them but they do keep the ears warm as well! detachable cable too

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 14

http://www.cuddledown.com/itemdy00.aspx?t1=Z89029+001+01&srccode=NXCZC6&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=2014&gclid=CjwKEAiAhcGjBRDot_fjjtPKrgsSJACNYh765NVFKzdDvOV8-1q4dJmKW8DegtCN_8DPJGZTMmitARoCdnvw_wcB

tongue.gif

Billy I did take care to mention that I had a limited budget... I can't afford those darn professional Dj Cans --'

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 14
I would vote for the M50(X) as well. It's an industry standard for a reason. Modern sound, good build and looks, detachable cable, pretty comfortable. You probably couldn't get closer to your goals without spending more.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 14
The M50x is not flimsy at all. I'm not even sure how u drew that conclusion. In the pics, it looks pretty solid, and once in hand, u know it is VERY SOLID and DURABLE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back