Looking for headphones with good bass for dubstep.
Sep 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DragoLevi

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I'm 100% a newb at Head-Fi (this is my first post) & headphones. I've only had ATH-M50's, I made that choice through Head-Fi so I decided I should join now that they broke and find better, new headphones.

I feel like the ATH-M50's didn't have enough bass for me and probably weren't meant for dubstep.
Also, I don't really care about looks because I'll mostly be using them at home, but on that rare occasion where I go outside with them, I won't want to feel uncomfortable.

I don't mind if you list earbuds/pods or IEM's, as long as they contain the features below

The main feature's I want in my headphones are:
- Comfort
- Bass
- Price (275$ Budget)
- No amp needed

I'll be using them on my iPod Nano, and would like the cord to not get tangled a lot, that's one of the reason I like Sony, because it's headphones have flat cords.

I've also been looking at Sony's headphone collection and found out that the XB500' were good in bass but not comfort, however I am a little interested in their X05, MDR1R, and MDR10R. I've only been able to try the X05's at best buy and I thought they were pretty good.

P.S. Sorry if I did something wrong in this thread - again, it is my first post :).

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 8
I haven't heard the others but the MDR-1R is not really bassy. There is a midbass hump but mostly it's focused on the lower mids. For lots of balanced (sub+mid) bass try M-Audio Q40. If you like the boomy Beats type sound, the AKG K81dj is a great deal. Neither is comfortable though, at least for me. Or maybe Creative Aurivana Live?

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks SoulSyde but I was looking more for personal experience, I've looked at the reviews of the headphones listed on that list on youtube though.

Also thank you blueangel2323, some people say they're comfortable and most don't.

Does any one have any opinions on headphones that they've tried?

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Out of curiosity, what about the XB500s where uncomfortable?  I found my old XB700s to be remarkably comfortable except for the heat build up due to the pad design.

You may want to consider the Ultrasone Pro 750s:
http://www.amazon.com/PRO-750-Closed-Back-Professional-Headphones/dp/B003USCCFA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1380071801&sr=8-8&keywords=ultrasone

They meet your budget requirements.  I find the pads incredibly comfortable.  The headband is OK in terms of comfort but not the worst I've experienced.  The bass is very tight and controlled with descent extension.  Just don't expect the subwoofer-like feeling of the Sony XBs.  They benefit from an amp but not necessary.  Mine came with a 3.5mm cord as well as the standard 1/4" cord so you can run them right out of a DAP without the need for an adapter.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks! I will look at some reviews on the Ultrasone Pro 750.
I was looking at a lot of reviews but most people stated they were uncomfortable, that's why I put they were uncomfortable.

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 8
You may also want to consider the V-Moda M-100 if comfort is a priority over sound.  I've never heard them but I do own the M-80 and I find them to be a nice "V-shaped" sound signature that lends itself towards electronica/dubstep music.  I trust that the M-100 would be much like the M-80 but with a bigger soundstage and more extended bass due to the larger driver and ear cup.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 8
For the price, my recommendation for a bassy portable would be either V-Moda M-100 or Denon D600. Brand new they are beyond your 275 budget but they can be found used for around 250.

M100: better bass, more durable, stylish (depending on your tastes)
D600: better mids and treble, way more comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back