Looking for headphones under $ 60
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Galeonero

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for a very comfortable headphones for long sessions of studying, playing on the ps4 or watching a movie, currently I do not have any good DAC / AMP since I sold the Shanling UP2 that I had because I was not convinced by the sound for the price so I plan in a while to go for a desktop DAC / AMP like iFi Zen DAC or something similar, I want it to have the best possible sound that for me would be something similar to the FiiO F9 PRO are headphones that for me have very good means without covering the Other frequencies and are not pure bass at all (I like that it has good bass but not exaggerated).
And although it sounds strange that the cable is in Y to go to both drivers, I feel that the fact that it goes to a single driver sounds louder on that side, that perception always happens to me.

I am currently using a Hyperx Alpha S gaming but I plan to return them because I do not feel they are worth the price and because I would like something not so expensive, my budget is 60 dollars.

I want it to be Over-Ear if possible, I don't feel very comfortable on-ear.
I have in view the KOSS UR40 but I do not know if it is worth it, I know it has the same driver as the PORTA PRO and that is good but my question is if they sound very good or sound very good for the price, my idea is to go back a bit to the audiophile world with good headphones like the FiiO F9 PRO that I had.
Or that another model is recommended to me, thank you very much to those who answer me.

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 18
Superlux HD668B is still a classic go-to for unbeatable performance under $100.
Samson SASR850C is pretty good too, but I found the treble a touch piercing, so it depends on your treble tolerence.
Philips SHP9500 is $75 at the moment in the US, and is probably worth the extra cost if you can stretch the budget slightly.

No idea about the Koss as I've never auditioned it.

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 18
Superlux, Samson, Takstar seem to be the best budget headphone brands.
Samson SR850 seems to come from the same factory that makes Superlux.

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 18
The Superlux HD681-EVO might be the best all around Superlux headphone, but it's has a slightly tight grip on the head, but that might be a fixable issue.

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 18
The Superlux HD681-EVO might be the best all around Superlux headphone, but it's has a slightly tight grip on the head, but that might be a fixable issue.
Hello, there I saw both superlux models and it seems to me that they are very big, I have some ISK HD9999 that I give away to my father because they were very big. I forgot to clarify that the idea is also to take them
on the bus when you go to college, sometimes, not always if not when I get tired of using in-ears.
I was seeing the HD660 that are very similar to the Beyerdinamic DT770 PRO, these 660 are recommended?

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 18
Hello, there I saw both superlux models and it seems to me that they are very big, I have some ISK HD9999 that I give away to my father because they were very big. I forgot to clarify that the idea is also to take them
on the bus when you go to college, sometimes, not always if not when I get tired of using in-ears.
I was seeing the HD660 that are very similar to the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO, these 660 are recommended?
Sound quality wise, the Superlux HD660 give the DT770 some good bang for the buck competition.
But their grip is tight on the head and the cable is stiff, to me not worth it.

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 18
I was seeing the HD660 that are very similar to the Beyerdinamic DT770 PRO, these 660 are recommended?
Also worth mentioning the HD660 are fully open back, so you'll very clearly hear the bus engine and all the city noise around you.
You will also be sharing most of your music with the people sitting around you, as they will leak sound.

DT770 would be the preferred choice in this scenario.

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 18
Also worth mentioning the HD660 are fully open back, so you'll very clearly hear the bus engine and all the city noise around you.
You will also be sharing most of your music with the people sitting around you, as they will leak sound.

DT770 would be the preferred choice in this scenario.
How open? I was watching and they are completely closed, the design is a copy of the dt770

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 18
Sound quality wise, the Superlux HD660 give the DT770 some good bang for the buck competition.
But their grip is tight on the head and the cable is stiff, to me not worth it.
I was seeing that it has screws so if the cable breaks, I change it for a 3.5 mm connector to avoid problems. That also thought that they can be somewhat tight, but I suppose that changing the almhoadillas for some that go for the DT770 is solved

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 18
How open? I was watching and they are completely closed, the design is a copy of the dt770
Oh sorry, I misread it as Sennheiser HD660.
You are correct about Superlux HD660.

The Beyerdynamic headband frame (or superlux hd660) can be bent out manually if it's too tight, due to the full metal construction.
It can also be tightened with a few gentle bends inwards too, if you need it tighter.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Oh sorry, I misread it as Sennheiser HD660.
You are correct about Superlux HD660.

The Beyerdynamic headband frame (or superlux hd660) can be bent out manually if it's too tight, due to the full metal construction.
It can also be tightened with a few gentle bends inwards too, if you need it tighter.
Cool, Thanks for the tips.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 18
Hello, I am looking for a very comfortable headphones for long sessions of studying, playing on the ps4 or watching a movie, currently I do not have any good DAC / AMP since I sold the Shanling UP2 that I had because I was not convinced by the sound for the price so I plan in a while to go for a desktop DAC / AMP like iFi Zen DAC or something similar, I want it to have the best possible sound that for me would be something similar to the FiiO F9 PRO are headphones that for me have very good means without covering the Other frequencies and are not pure bass at all (I like that it has good bass but not exaggerated).
And although it sounds strange that the cable is in Y to go to both drivers, I feel that the fact that it goes to a single driver sounds louder on that side, that perception always happens to me.

I am currently using a Hyperx Alpha S gaming but I plan to return them because I do not feel they are worth the price and because I would like something not so expensive, my budget is 60 dollars.

I want it to be Over-Ear if possible, I don't feel very comfortable on-ear.
I have in view the KOSS UR40 but I do not know if it is worth it, I know it has the same driver as the PORTA PRO and that is good but my question is if they sound very good or sound very good for the price, my idea is to go back a bit to the audiophile world with good headphones like the FiiO F9 PRO that I had.
Or that another model is recommended to me, thank you very much to those who answer me.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-porta-pro-x-headphones

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #15 of 18
Hello, I still see what headphones to buy I was reviewing stores here in Argentina and I only found the KOSS Ur40 and Superlux HD660 at a good price. Which one would you choose? Any other recommendation, more than anything that is not huge like the Superlux Hd668b, I am looking for something smaller and with a detachable cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back