Looking for headphones under $50
Sep 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

LosNir

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for open / semi-open headphones for under $50, including international shipping!

I mainly listen to Electronic (Psycraft, Infected Mushroom) music and Rock (Coldplay, RHCP) - so the bass should be considered, but equally as I need a decent mid's & high's too, overall I need a balanced 'phones.

The headphones will be used with a notebook for the most of the time, so correct me if I'm wrong - I don't need any amp, and amp-required 'phones should be also considered.

What do you say about the Grado SR-60? will they fit me needs? they are even open?

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 22
they're very very open. I think they will lack the bass you need though. Maybe try those sennheiser phones...hd201 i think? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 22
OOO I FORGOT ABOUT PORTAPROS! I think those would be perfect for you!

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 22
Uh, I hate the design, and they shouldn't be portable! :p

HD201? WOW! Those are zero-bass-lacking 'phones, very very not balanced.

I currently have the AKG K414, some thing I don't like in them and I would like to see them in my new 'phones:

1) They do not cover the whole ear! they just sit in there, I'm looking for a full size ear-wrapping 'phones.

2) I would like them to be open.

3) A better SQ? :p

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 22
Oh really? I must have been thinking of some other lower end senn. Hmm...maybe a dj model or something.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 22
I think you should consider the Philips SHP2700
L3000.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 22
@Ub3rMario

If i'm right, the dj models are not ear-wrapping and they are closed. Looks like I'm doing the homework for ya guys :p

@snorbaard

Looks like those are closed, again P:

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 22
LosNir, the SHP2700 cans have an open-aural design. Not sure if you mean something else, but to me that means it has an open design (meaning excess sound can easily escape from the can and it doesn't seal outside noises that well). I can clearly hear my typing on my keyboard (I am wearing them now) as I am writing this (my playlist just stopped).

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by snorbaard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LosNir, the SHP2700 cans have an open-aural design. Not sure if you mean something else, but to me that means it has an open design (meaning excess sound can easily escape from the can and it doesn't seal outside noises that well). I can clearly hear my typing on my keyboard (I am wearing them now) as I am writing this (my playlist just stopped).

what is this open-aural design??

supraural cups: they sit on your ear
circumaural: they go around your ear

open: sound can leak out or leak in - ideal for indoor listening where background nose levels are low and reduces "stuffiness" that people can feel while using closed headphones
Closed: sound generally stays inside - better isolation of noises, but can feel stuffy at times IMO.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 22
Well, my K414P are also closed - and I can clearly hear myself typing right now.

The Philips looks closed -> The earbuds are thick and wrapping the whole ear.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 22
Please forget what I said as it is not comparable.

According to Rednamalas1's definitions the Philips SHP2700 is circumaural and open in design. And I am very happy with them - probably 'til I get to hear something better, but I am a student so whatever, it fits my budget and for this price they sound fantastic.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 22
I second the Sennheiser PX-100 - that exact model number, in either white or black. They are an open design.

The earcups are about the same diameter as the AKGs, but "thinner" - but they fit over your ears with no where near the same pressure as those AKGs.

Very balanced, decent bass, and very impressive for their size and cost. They are lightweight, small, and fold up to the size of sunglasses. They don't need an amp. They come with a two-year warranty so save your packaging and receipt.

I have (or have had) the iGrados, the AKG K26p, and Sennheiser HD2xx's, and gotta give the edge to the PX-100's. I haven't heard the Porta-Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back