Looking for headphones under 150$
Mar 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #46 of 67
I would still warn against getting the Senns against the Beyerdynamic. The I've tried many of the Sennheisers lately and have not been happy with any of them.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #47 of 67
It will certainly surpass Grados in soundstage. You can do the easy foam sticker mod on it for even more.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #49 of 67
I've had the HD650's and found them too muddy. Also have owned the hd600 and found them too analytical and harsh. Also have had the HD518 and were the most boring sounding headphone I think I've ever heard. I would get them from somewhere that has a good return policy just in case you don't end up liking what you get.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #50 of 67
  professional audio listening?does that mean they would sound boring?if that's the case, i wouldn't buy them.

No! They're not boring at all! The soundstage is much greater than the Grado, and they make perfect gaming headphones (along with music and movies.) I'd chose them over the HD 558, but if you want below $150, go for the HD 558. Again -- it depends on your gut. I'd say watch some reviews, but DON'T listen to people saying the HD 558 and HD 598 sound the same. They are absolutely different.

Happy listening!

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #51 of 67
  I've had the HD650's and found them too muddy. Also have owned the hd600 and found them too analytical and harsh. Also have had the HD518 and were the most boring sounding headphone I think I've ever heard. I would get them from somewhere that has a good return policy just in case you don't end up liking what you get.

Did you use a good amp/DAC? The HD6xx series and HD800 are picky.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #52 of 67
  No! They're not boring at all! The soundstage is much greater than the Grado, and they make perfect gaming headphones (along with music and movies.) I'd chose them over the HD 558, but if you want below $150, go for the HD 558. Again -- it depends on your gut. I'd say watch some reviews, but DON'T listen to people saying the HD 558 and HD 598 sound the same. They are absolutely different. I've done it, and it sounds horrible, in my opinion. It also ruins the fun sound.

Happy listening!

I would happily buy the HD 598. but like you said, they sound terrible with the E6.
+ I can't afford to buy a dac/amp after buying the HD 598.
Sensible choice would be buying the HD 558.
BTW, they would sound good with the E6, right?

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #53 of 67
I used an Audio GD NFB12 and didn't like the way they sounded. I've found Beyerdynamics gel better than the Senns with my sources. But don't get me wrong I own a pair of vintage HD-545 that sound awesome. I just don't think their newer products are as good.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #54 of 67
  I used an Audio GD NFB12 and didn't like the way they sounded. I've found Beyerdynamics gel better than the Senns with my sources. But don't get me wrong I own a pair of vintage HD-545 that sound awesome. I just don't think their newer products are as good.

I would recommend the TubeMagic D1 DAC to drive the HD650. TubeMagic D1 DAC was designed for the HD650.

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #56 of 67
I just recently owned the HD558 and was completely disappointed with them for trance which is my primary music preference. After 100 hours of burn in using both a fiio e07k and a vali/modi stack, there was almost no sub-bass there at all. I had also purchased a Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro80) at the same time and added Brainwavz HM5 pads and they blew me away for trance. A/Bed them severaltimes with the HD558s and packed the 558s up and returned them to Amazon. The Gemini is closed though and costs about $55 on Amazon. In my experience it is hard to find an open back headphone that does sub-bass well, especially in the lower price ranges. If anyone knows of one, I'd be all ears (no pun intended).

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #57 of 67
I just recently owned the HD558 and was completely disappointed with them for trance which is my primary music preference. After 100 hours of burn in using both a fiio e07k and a vali/modi stack, there was almost no sub-bass there at all. I had also purchased a Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro80) at the same time and added Brainwavz HM5 pads and they blew me away for trance. A/Bed them severaltimes with the HD558s and packed the 558s up and returned them to Amazon. The Gemini is closed though and costs about $55 on Amazon. In my experience it is hard to find an open back headphone that does sub-bass well, especially in the lower price ranges. If anyone knows of one, I'd be all ears (no pun intended).

Defect? I don't know any HD 558 that has horrible bass. I think they're great paired with this DAC: DAC on Amazon. These are great headphones, and many people on head-fi can agree.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #58 of 67
Danny - I didn't say they had hrrible bass at all - just lacking in sub-bass to me. I should say that with some other genres they sounded excellent - jazz, acoustic in particular. I totally got why they are so popular. However I only use headphones at night after my wife has gone to bed where I can listen to electronic music. So I love sub-bass and there are many other phones out there that do sub-bass and electronic better than the 558s. I was warned about that on a thread where I had asked for help but I just couldn't resist trying them.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #60 of 67
558 is a great all rounder and are my go-to cans for long listening sessions. But if I'm listening to bass heavy music, I usually use 990s or 770s at home and or m80s on the go.

FWIW, the 990s have been around $130 on Amazon lately...which is a great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back