Looking for headphones under 150$
Mar 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #31 of 67
  I'm confused now.
Two different opinions.
Can someone give me a brief comparison between the HD 558 and a900x?
that would be helpful :)

EZ to explain.

HD 558 = Balanced with clean bass. Amazing soundstage.

A900x = Lacks lows, but amazing highs. Soundstage, but closed back (sacrificing soundstage.)

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #32 of 67
  EZ to explain.

HD 558 = Balanced with clean bass. Amazing soundstage.

A900x = Lacks lows, but amazing highs. Soundstage, but closed back (sacrificing soundstage.)

I'm leaning more towards the HD 558 now.
Do they have decent sub bass?
And to add, I am also into gaming. So are they any good for gaming?Gaming is not my top priority. But it would help if they were any good for gaming too.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #33 of 67
  220$?that's so out of my range.
And It's extremely difficult to get used headphones in my country.
How are the HD 558 for trance?do they have decent sub bass?

Let me just say that you can hear the bass, and you can feel the thump. It's not a vibration, but more of a feeling the music type of thing. They are flat, however. The mids and highs are perfectly even, but don't expect silky or smooth/dark sounds. You'll need to spend more money to get silk or dark headphones. Soundstage is a big up for them. They're not amazing compared to more expensive brands, but they sound more than a $120 pair of headphones.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #34 of 67
  I'm leaning more towards the HD 558 now.
Do they have decent sub bass?
And to add, I am also into gaming. So are they any good for gaming?Gaming is not my top priority. But it would help if they were any good for gaming too.

Absolutely! They're known to be one of the most popular uses, for gaming!

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #36 of 67
  Absolutely! They're known to be one of the most popular uses, for gaming!

I will go for them
one last question
I own a Grado 60i.
are the HD 558's an upgrade to them in SQ?
And is the sub bass better on the HD 558 against the Grados.?

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #37 of 67
Originally Posted by xoriac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

are the HD 558's an upgrade to them in SQ?

Absolutely, but not in the highs department. The HD 558 deliver a flat sound (all frequencies are almost even.) The HD 558 will sound more natural than the Grado, most diffidently.

Originally Posted by xoriac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And is the sub bass better on the HD 558 against the Grados.?

Almost laughable to compare the bass to the HD 558 because Grado are well known for their highs, but that's not a good thing because the highs are unbearable. The HD 558 will most diffidently deliver more bass than the Grado. I don't own your model, but I own the Grado PS 500 Professional. You want to know eardrum hell? Buy the ones I got. They feel as if you're scraping your ears with scratching chalk on board.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #38 of 67
I am getting 558 for 150$ here
and 598 for 168$
. do you think I should go for the HD 598 instead ?
how are they different from the HD 558?

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #39 of 67
Good luck with finding subbass in any open can under $400.:

(ATH A900x:)

As you can see, the bass roll off of the SR60i and HD558 is much steeper.  

The ES FC300 is fantastic and really has no subbass roll off.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #40 of 67
  I am getting 558 for 150$ here
and 598 for 168$
. do you think I should go for the HD 598 instead ?
how are they different from the HD 558?

Now you're getting me excited! The HD 598 is a step towards the professional audio listening experience. They are considered the best headphones in the market, for its price. I think you'll enjoy the HD 598 more than any. They are the ones that entitled the Sennheiser Veil. However; you'll need a decent DAC. They sound horrible on the E6. Never pair them with any of the FiiO products. They run best with: DAC. So much to explain! Read some forum posts on the HD598.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #42 of 67
Am I the only one that own many headphones and experience many kinds, in this forum post?

Your comments so far have been spot on and helpful. But this assertion is simply false and you need to work on your attitude.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #45 of 67
  Now you're getting me excited! The HD 598 is a step towards the professional audio listening experience. They are considered the best headphones in the market, for its price. I think you'll enjoy the HD 598 more than any. They are the ones that entitled the Sennheiser Veil. However; you'll need a decent DAC. They sound horrible on the E6. Never pair them with any of the FiiO products. They run best with: DAC. So much to explain! Read some forum posts on the HD598.

professional audio listening?does that mean they would sound boring?if that's the case, i wouldn't buy them.
anyway, like the above guy said, your comments have been extremely helpful. i'm going to buy the HD 558 tomorrow. I hope they are better than the Grados in soundstage :)
Thanks a lot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back