Looking for headphones to pair with my Sound BlasterX AE-5
Jul 4, 2019 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iNeedCansBad

Head-Fier
I made a thread the other day but left out a key bit of information so let's start over.

I am a PC gamer. I also love high end music and have a large collection of flac files. I also stream a lot on my PC and watch movies occasionally.

I have a Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 already and I am looking for a "do all" set of headphones that are amazing for gaming, and generally great for everything else. I would like to spend $250 or less. I've had AKG in the past and loved them, but they were stolen and that was probably 10 years ago. I got a cheap replacement set after cheap replacement set since, and I am now a bit older and wiser and when I game its a luxury so when I do I want to be blown away every time. I've never been fond of "Gaming headsets" and am not looking for one with a mic as I have a separate desktop mic for that purpose.

I don't need to spend $250 in fact I'd like to spend less, but I'm looking for some recommendations. I've never had a pair of Sennheisers so the the brand intrigues me, and Beyerdynamic has some really great reviewed products I'm interested in and I also wouldn't mind going back to AKG if I can find the right set that suits my needs. It seems like the headphone market has expanded tremendously these last few years and I can't keep up. I've read good things about Massdrop and the 6XX but I've read those aren't great for gaming.... Any help appreciated.

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 11
So are you saying I should get the 6XX? It is in my list.
Maybe checkout the Focal Elegia, i tried it with Apex, Paladins and Dauntless. In fps i can easily hear footstep location and pinpoint position. I can also hear things like the person reloading weapon or opening doors/jumping/rustling around if theyre semi close. The Elegia also doesnt require gobules of power so you're able to easily power it.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 11
HD650/6XX tend to have a more intimate soundstage presentation, which not all gamers find the most useful type of stage for gaming. Just a heads-up. They are outstanding for music, though. Are you looking for open or closed headphones?

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Jul 6, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 11
HD650/6XX tend to have a more intimate soundstage presentation, which not all gamers find the most useful type of stage for gaming. Just a heads-up. They are outstanding for music, though. Are you looking for open or closed headphones?
I definitely prefer closed headphones, I should have stated that from the get go. Like most people I'm looking to get the most for my money, with gaming a top priority, music a strong second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back