Looking for headphones that leak sound in, but does not leak out
Jan 13, 2014 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lobehold

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Looking for the perfect headphones for my father, I have given him a few very nice headphones to use but he always gravitates back towards a pair of crappy Sony MDR-V150 on-ears with fraying pleather earpads that's falling apart because it doesn't isolates at all, but also doesn't leak out sound, which is the ideal combination for him.

I know Grado is notorious for being open, but it lets sound out as much as it lets sound in, I'm looking for some recommendations for a pair of headphones that let's sound in, but does not let it out (much).

It's going to be used for non-critical listening and somewhat of a "beater", so preferably south side of $100, but I realize my request is unconventional so I'll be taking all suggestions.

Thanks.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 5
well from the criteria you've laid out, it sounds like you're looking for some supraaural (on-ear) headphones. they tend to not create that good a seal (for me anyways) so they should leak sound in and probably not too much out, though to be honest i don't have a single pair of supraaural headphones so i don't really have much to recommend

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 5
  well from the criteria you've laid out, it sounds like you're looking for some supraaural (on-ear) headphones. they tend to not create that good a seal (for me anyways) so they should leak sound in and probably not too much out, though to be honest i don't have a single pair of supraaural headphones so i don't really have much to recommend

Thanks for the help, I figured on-ears are the answer but I'm looking for something that have realllly bad isolation compared to others - while still sounding good, and I personally just haven't heard enough headphones myself to know which one is really bad at isolation.

Get whatever you want and limit the volume to 60db. 

I tried some of my other headphones such as the Sennheiser Amperior and Bose AE2 playing at similar levels, none of them let in as much sound as the crappy Sony. So nope, tried but doesn't work.

Maybe I should just trawl through reviews looking for keywords such as "really bad isolation" lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back