Looking for headphones that beat "beats"
Dec 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 42

Quote:
the denons are a little pricey will the dt770s still sound good without the amp and what about the sony xb700 or 500

The DT770 needs a nice amp to really sound good. The XB series has a love-it-or-hate-it reputation here, with the general consensus being that the 500 is pretty bad and the 700 is okay, but there's still better out there for the price.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 42
If you want bassy headphones that beats Beat's and is under $200 and does not need to be used with a headphone amplifier.
Your looking at something that might not be possible.
Audio Technica ATH-A900s will work without a headphone amplifier and should easy match (or better) the sound quality of the Beats, but will not be as bassy.
Denon AH-D1100 are bassy headphones, they might work for you (but I've never listened to them).

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 42
My vote goes for M50's. A bass-heavy headphone, but not overly so and it's easy to like the sound (a lot smoother and more even sounding than the beats). It's well built (although not as stylish) and fairly comfortable too - and isolates much better. 

In terms of just bass, to me the M50's have more bass quantity than the Studios in the upper bass, where the studios sound thin. I think the M50's have slightly looser sounding bass than the Studios, but overall the M50s just have way better bass. Better extension, better control, just more natural sounding bass. The increased lower mid-bass and slightly looser signature actually gives the impression that the M50s are more bass heavy than the Studios. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #21 of 42
Well, I guess it depends on how bassy you wanna go. Is it about quality or quantity? The M50 is a bit short on the quantity part.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 42
I'm not sure if your criticism of the Beats is that they are unappealing overall, or that they are insufficient in bass for your tastes.  If the latter is your criticism, perhaps the Sony XB1000 may scratch your itch.  If you're looking for good performers overall, then not so much.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #24 of 42

Quote:
It just needs to sound good does not need to have huge bass just enought that there is good(quality) bass

The M50 is pretty well-known as the entry-level can for those preferring a bit of bass accentuation. They are driven relatively well without an amp, and still sound smooth all over. The mids are a bit recessed by my taste, but if you compare them to the Beats it's nothing. The M50's bass level is right between the Solos and Studios, but the resolution of the bass is miles better.

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #25 of 42
All headphones. Not even trolling here.

Quote:
I am not a audiophile but my friends have been getting pretty hyped about beats by dre headphones i personally think beats are not that great and would like to buy some headphones that look ok and completely blow beats out of the water Also they must be under 300 dollars which is what beats by dre studios cost

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #27 of 42
Hmm well I have my sony mdrv-700 and they have good bass, but not sure if they are considered heavy bass and can get loud through an ipod. The only problem is that they have a long cord and don't stick on your head so much but I still recommend them. There on amazon for around $80U.S dollars!

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #29 of 42
ATH-M50s are a really popular can outside of the Beats fad. They're a good beginner set for people going into higher quality audio parts, and they're currently my main headphones. Tough to beat if you can find them for a little over $100. Though they're not the clearest or neutral sounding, a direct comparison to Studios will make you realize how bad the Studios actually sound in terms of clarity and balance. I've heard good things about the Brainwavz HM5s, also going for a little over $100, which have amazing clarity at the price point. I'm probably going with those for my next cans. The link MadMike posted is a really useful reference, and really helps us draw some conclusions since most of us don't always have other headphones to compare a particular set to.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #30 of 42
style, is how you present it. I use m50 before this, i wear it with full confidence, my friends said m50 is freaking cool.. i have beyer 880/600 now, i wear it with confidence. I believe all full size headphones are all stylish.. but,, don't use those big-china-brand-headphones, no matter how confidence you are, you just making a fool out of urself =p.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back