Looking for headphones that are crystal clear
Apr 23, 2014 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

laradark

New Head-Fier
Budget: up to $150 but i really only want to spend $80-100
Source: iphone,ipod,macbook
Isolation: i'm open to different kinds, but i want to be able to get lost in the music, but not so lost that if someone breaks into the house i hear nothing LMAO
Preferred Type of Headphones - over ear
Preferred tonal balance - unsure,I want a sound that is crystal clear and i want to feel like i can get lost in the music, a bit ethereal..i always feel like most headphones is kinda foggy with bass, as if there is another layer on top of the music blocking out the crystal clear thing i am looking for.
Past Headphones- Just some Sony ones which i think were older version of the MDR from 1999, it lasted until 2009 when i crushed them,now i use iphone/ipod headphones..and i like em(although people say they are crap) but i want over ear ones
Preferred Music-i listen mostly to rock,electronic,experimental/dark ambient and trip-hop music,every now and then i do a little rap and pop

Ones I was considering(But i'm open to suggestion):
Grado SR60i (quality worries me, i keep reading reviews about them breaking or falling apart or being cheap plastic and possibly being harsh sounding)
Audio Technica
Sony MDR7506
Senal SMH-1000-BHPhoto's private label brand,they basically the Sony MDR7506 but with a detachable cable and 3 year warranty
AKGs  or Sennheiser

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 18
Ultrasone HFI-780. Decent isolation without disconnecting you completely from your surroundings depending on volume level and music played. Fast and energetic that suits rock and electronic music well while still having crystal clear detail for ambient music.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 18
NVX XPT100. These are the same cups and drivers as thr Brainwavz HM5 and Fisher FA-003 (same sound), but currently $80 at Amazon. These are a neutral sounding headphone.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 18
MDR-7506 (or V6) are very good headphones for under $100. I think they are good all arounders.

Grados are well suited for many types of rocks due to how their mids bring out the sound of guitar. But definitely not portable.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 18
MDR-7506 (or V6) are very good headphones for under $100. I think they are good all arounders.

Grados are well suited for many types of rocks due to how their mids bring out the sound of guitar. But definitely not portable.

Yes.

Also consider the MDR 7510 and KRK KNS 6400 & 8400.

I think you need a well built studio can that is built to endure some day to day knocks.  However, no can will withstand "crushing" very well.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 18
The MDR V6/7506 are a good option. They have a very good EQ balance with strong mids and sound alot cleaner than many other headphones in their price range. However I find that the soundstage can sound 'grainy' sometimes when there are alot of insturments or vocals playing at the same time.

The Shure SRH440s are another good option. They are around the MDR V6/7506 price range. With stock pads they are very clear, but also very harsh. They sound great and less harsh with the SRH840 ear pads. With the pads, they have a very clear and clean sound.

The Shure SRH840 is another great option, but the price range is double that of the SRH440/MDR-V6. They sound similar to the 440s with 840 pads, but are better behaved and not as peaky in the upper ranges as the SRH440. They are also less fatiguing and since the sound signature is a bit more relaxed, you can hear details better. Both the Shures are some of the cleanest sounding headphones I own. But the cleanest sounding set of headphones I own are...

The KRK KNS8400. I was really suprised by the clarity of these when I first started listening to them. They sound clinically clean. Not everyone may like that type of sound, but I crave clarity. They catch even more details and have a cleaner soundstage than either of the Shures. But there are some things you should be aware about: One is that they are not very efficient/sensitive, in terms of loudness. I have to turn the volume up alot higher to reach the same sound levels as my other headphones. This could be a problem depending on your souce. Another thing, and this could be a good or bad thing depending on your musical preferences, is that the EQ is very linear. I'm talking flat. This includes bass. It reproduces most bass lines, and articulates them fairly well, but it's at a volume level near or at neutral, so sub-bass is harder to hear. Many people would probably find these to be bass light comapred to other phones. On the flip side the soundstage is amazingly clear. The bass is very clean and does not bleed into the soundstage. You can hear the highs, mids, and low details all clearly. I am no professional, but I can see how these headphones would be great for professional use, and despite my nitpicking, I like them alot because of their clarity and will find myself zoning out to music with them at times.

So if you are seeking clarity, consider researching the mentioned headphones.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 18
Apple products have very good/clean sounding analog outs so you're all clear there (no pun intended).  You should also consider the 55 ohm K240s, and the Alessandro MS1

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 18
Hi,

You should also read about Takstar Pro 80 (or Gemini HSR-1000 - same headphones)

Best Luck!

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 18
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 OHM's are very neutral, very clear, and ULTRA comfortable, and can be had on eBay and Amazon for about $150 used. If you don't want to use an amp, the 32 OHM's version is very similar. I would steer away from the 80 OHM's version if you want a neutral sound, as they are very bassy for some reason.

Good Luck,
F23

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 18
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 OHM's are very neutral, very clear, and ULTRA comfortable, and can be had on eBay and Amazon for about $150 used. If you don't want to use an amp, the 32 OHM's version is very similar. I would steer away from the 80 OHM's version if you want a neutral sound, as they are very bassy for some reason.

Good Luck,
F23

You are the only person I have ever heard describe these as neutral. The rest of us feel they have bass emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back