Looking for headphones primarily for gaming on my PS4, max $500 range
Jul 13, 2015 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Directorjustin

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones to be used primarily on my PS4, presumably using the 3.5mm port on the DS4 controller (there may be other options). I know almost nothing about headphones other than things like the difference between open back and closed back design (closed back isn't necessary for me). I don't know much how to describe the sound I'm looking for, but just something that will sound clear and powerful, and something I will enjoy across all games for a long time.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 7
This headphone gaming guide should help you a lot: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added

Note that some of the headphones listed are difficult to drive and would require an amp.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 7
I haven't tried the X2s, but the X1s are very comfortable, IMO. I would expect the X2s to be somewhat similar, but I could be wrong.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 7
  I'm looking for headphones to be used primarily on my PS4, presumably using the 3.5mm port on the DS4 controller (there may be other options). I know almost nothing about headphones other than things like the difference between open back and closed back design (closed back isn't necessary for me). I don't know much how to describe the sound I'm looking for, but just something that will sound clear and powerful, and something I will enjoy across all games for a long time.

For gaming, a Sennheiser HD558 should do the job ($80-$120) well enough for you.
Buy an Astro Mix-amp ($130), it will plug into the PS4's optical and USB (or mic) ports.
If you sit far from the PS4, then get longer optical and USB cables.
The Astro will give you headphone surround sound, plugging into the DS4 controller will not.
Headphones plugged into the DS4 controller will drain the DS4's power faster.
Where as the Astro will get is power from the PS4, which gets it's power from the wall socket.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks. I think I'll try the Phillips X2, though I hope the clamping force isn't too strong.

If your looking for headphones for gaming that also make music and movies sound good, then the Philips Fidelio X2 is still a good choice.
The Philips can also be plugged into an Astro Mix-amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back