Looking for headphones on a budget!
Oct 1, 2006 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

reivaj

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay here is some info to help out.
I currently have a headset for gaming so I am looking for something for music and possibly other things but mainly for music.
I listen to alot of death metal, black metal, hardcore, and other kinds of rock but mainly those. (need that double kick pedal blasting
biggrin.gif
)
Though at times when I want to listen to something soft and easy on the ears then i will listen to trance and dance music.
I love clarity and treble but not ear bleeding treble. Also I like bass in my eletronic music but dont need nearly as much as those that I know who listen to hip hop.

My price range is about 140 tops. I have been considering the HD555s cause I hear so many good things about them.
I listened to my friends sony mdr v600s and I was not too thrilled since they only seemed to have mid and lacked in treble and bass for my taste.

Any help is appreciated

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi! and Welcome! Sorry in advance; for your wallet.
plainface.gif

I will timidly suggest the Alessandro MS-1 as one option. It seems to fit all the requirements except perhaps in the bass department. The bass goes low enough but it's a bit subdued. The sound is Grado, but a bit tamed in the upper regions. So it has the clarity but certainly not an ear-bleeding type of treble.

It sells for $99 shipped, all over the world and can be ordered with either a 1/8 or 1/4" plug, and an amp is absolutely optional.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 13
gaming isnt really important since I have another headset which has a good set up for gaming.

I will check out the ms1.

Though which grado do you suggest feh?

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj
Okay here is some info to help out.
I currently have a headset for gaming so I am looking for something for music and possibly other things but mainly for music.
I listen to alot of death metal, black metal, hardcore, and other kinds of rock but mainly those. (need that double kick pedal blasting
biggrin.gif
)
Though at times when I want to listen to something soft and easy on the ears then i will listen to trance and dance music.
I love clarity and treble but not ear bleeding treble. Also I like bass in my eletronic music but dont need nearly as much as those that I know who listen to hip hop.

My price range is about 140 tops. I have been considering the HD555s cause I hear so many good things about them.
I listened to my friends sony mdr v600s and I was not too thrilled since they only seemed to have mid and lacked in treble and bass for my taste.

Any help is appreciated

Where on earth did you hear anything good about the HD-555 "Fusion" head phones. While being extremely comfortable they are without a doubt the worst sounding headphones I've ever had the displeasure to own! NO highs, crappy mids, bad, resonant bass, no deep bass whatsoever, you name it these baby's have it. REALLY, REALLY BAD.

Oct 2, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
Where on earth did you hear anything good about the HD-555 "Fusion" head phones. While being extremely comfortable they are without a doubt the worst sounding headphones I've ever had the displeasure to own! NO highs, crappy mids, bad, resonant bass, no deep bass whatsoever, you name it these baby's have it. REALLY, REALLY BAD.

All I ever hear is high praises. Though the community that I hear praises from(other than product reviews) is used to typical gaming headset and generally spends around 30 dollar average on headsets. I know music sound unrealistic and is constantly distorted since the headphones/headsets have very different settings which are more compliant for hearing footsteps and gunfire from distance and etc.

I guess they are used to hearing crap that hi def headphones like the 555 sound amazing to them and thats all I ever hear... its amazing. Though I come on here and they are mediocre at best. Though on headroom they get a great review as well(even though they do claim mid range is exaggerated).

So right now im considering the ms1. Though is there anything else for the buck that would be good? What about a cheaper pricing from elsewhere or a higher end headphone thats B stock or refurbbed?

Oct 2, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj
All I ever hear is high praises. Though the community that I hear praises from(other than product reviews) is used to typical gaming headset and generally spends around 30 dollar average on headsets. I know music sound unrealistic and is constantly distorted since the headphones/headsets have very different settings which are more compliant for hearing footsteps and gunfire from distance and etc.

I guess they are used to hearing crap that hi def headphones like the 555 sound amazing to them and thats all I ever hear... its amazing. Though I come on here and they are mediocre at best. Though on headroom they get a great review as well(even though they do claim mid range is exaggerated).

So right now im considering the ms1. Though is there anything else for the buck that would be good? What about a cheaper pricing from elsewhere or a higher end headphone thats B stock or refurbbed?

I messed up, I went and looked at them, the 500's are the ones you want to avoid like the plague. I apologize to all those 555 owners out there.

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 13
I just ordered a pair of MS1s, can't wait for them to come in. I will update you on them when i get them
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back