Looking for headphones, not bright or fatiguing
Aug 23, 2014 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

markali88

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I was just wondering in general, which headphones has a reputation for no sibilance and maybe a darker sound signature?

I currently own a Sony V6.. Spent a lot of time with them.. I tried to like them I really did..

I only use em when playing piano now because the heights are just unbearable when playing music.

And Yes I own a lot of bose stuff.. I am guilty of liking bose.. Not the AE2.. They don't sound too well to me.. neither the ie2.. But I like the sound of the OE2.. To my ears it is enjoyable for music and not fatiguing.
Bass is exaggerated sometimes tho, not as balanced as the V6, but still enjoyable for me.

At the end of the day I am very sensitive to bright headphones.
Maybe it's just my ears. I play 8 instruments by ear so i'm automatically weird I guess.

anyways I digress.

Will the HD598 be a good choice for me? I was considering the ATHm50s but i'm worried it will be similar to the Sony V6 headphones.

I'm living in Trinidad so there is no way I can demo these headphones before purchase. The common practice is to do research and buy sight unseen here because,,, well we don't really have a choice.

Any advice will be appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 27
As far as headphones go I feel most dont have siblance. Its more about the recording / DAP creating the static/noise. As for darker sound signature are you wanting something with a deep dark sexy bass  but still holds a decent mid/treble range? Or are you wanting something more traditionally V-shaped with deek dark sexy bass and less mid/treble range? Also as Orel said, what is your budget?

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 27
Under 200$ would be nice.

Generally I would prefer something that is well balanced but warm at the same time.

Well controlled Bass.. I prefer to not have exaggerated bass that drowns out everything else.

I listen to symphonic rock at times so a solid midrange is a must.

It seems that headphoens that are considered  to be "flat" don't suit my ears. As I said I am sensitive to heights. The V6 that I currently own are painful to listen to music .

So maybe some recessed heights would be nice.. Recessed treble a bit.

Do the ATH M-50 have the sibilance/exaggerated heights(at least to my ears) as the V6
Or this is absent from this headphones..

Was also looking at the AKG Q701. Between this and the Sennehiser HD598 maybe. Or is there another headphones I should be looking at.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 27
"traditionally V-shaped with deek dark sexy bass and less mid/treble range?"

That sounds like what i'm looking for..

lol..

I don't get why the V6 has such rave reviews. But I understand that everyone is different and I may be extra sensitive to heights and treble..
My friend configured his car with a new deck and eq and I can't listen to it to save my life.
Same thing happened when my brother got his music in his car. To my ears it sounded terrible. Overly exaggerated heights and treble that was painful to the ear and bloated Bass... To each his own.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 27
From the sounds of it you'd prefer open cans? The Q701's and HD598's are anything but dark, not sure how you came to those. The HD598's are smooth at least in the treble, though for you the HD558's would probably be better. Plus, there's a simple mod you can do to make them more like the HD598's by removing some foam inside. I'll try to think of some open dark cans in your range and post again if I remember anything. Also, v-shaped means elevated treble, not recessed.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 27
  Under 200$ would be nice.

Generally I would prefer something that is well balanced but warm at the same time.

Well controlled Bass.. I prefer to not have exaggerated bass that drowns out everything else.

I listen to symphonic rock at times so a solid midrange is a must.

So maybe some recessed heights would be nice.. Recessed treble a bit.

Check.
Check.
Check.
Check.
Check.

If there is a headphone that suits your needs better, I would love to hear about it.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 27
From the sounds of it you'd prefer open cans? The Q701's and HD598's are anything but dark, not sure how you came to those. The HD598's are smooth at least in the treble, though for you the HD558's would probably be better. Plus, there's a simple mod you can do to make them more like the HD598's by removing some foam inside. I'll try to think of some open dark cans in your range and post again if I remember anything. Also, v-shaped means elevated treble, not recessed.

I actually haven't heard the 558 with or without mod, so you may be right on it being a better choice for him.

?I think, however, the use of the term "dark" may have been a misuse?

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 27
No, dark means recessed treble. Bright is the opposite. Classic 'dark' headphones are Audeze's and HD650's. Saving up for the Phillips X1 would get you there, but the bass is bloated. The problem is, open headphones usually mean less bass, which means your brain hears more treble. It's hard to find many dark, open cans. The newer M50x's are darker than the last gen. according to some... might be worth looking into. You could also go for neutral cans like the AKG K612, HP150, NVX XPT100, etc. and just hope that it's enough of a reduction of treble for you.

I think the best thing you could do would be to try as many headphones as you can, local Best Buy, headphone/audio store, friends, whatever. The Bose seem to have kinda a peak from 5-10 kHz, then they roll off quick. It may just be that particular peak/grain of the Bose that's getting you fatigued.

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 27
This glossary can help you make sure when you use a certain term, the rest of the community can be on the same page. It helps us all make better decisions and inferences.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary
"Dark - A tonal balance that tilts downwards with increasing frequency. Opposite of bright. Weak high frequencies."

This is generally what people mean when they say dark... but, yes, to each his own. Most would not use 'dark' as an adjective for bass, as it it usually used as a term for overall balance. Sexy works fine for me 
beerchug.gif
. Also, 'V-shaped' means elevated bass and treble at the expense of recessed mids. That's an absolute. We both didn't communicate our best, it would seem, and I apologize if I came off as being overly stern.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 27
  No, the actual quote is "dark sexy bass."  What does that mean?  It's just metaphorical speak.  I think you are taking it way too literally.  Sorry just my opinion.

By dark I just mean very low and powerful. Sexy is well just another word for intimate for me. Like something that just draws you in. I think we are focusing on that too much rather then balanced with warm sound or V-shaped with recessed mid/treble. 

IMO if you want an Open can that is balanced with a slight warm sound do them then the 598 would be a good option. Just look up reviews for any headphone suggested and people better with wording then me can describe the sound of most headphones talked about. I would say the 598 do not have huge highs be its not really rolled off and is still there. The mids are amazing and vocals sound amazing on them. The bass is there and warms everything up, but they don't sound as intimate as say my other suggestion the DT-770 (80 ohm) if you can find a good price. The DT-770 my Beyerdynamics is a very very solid headphone. I would not say the bass is hugely exaggerated, but its for sure emphasized. Its what makes the headphones so high on my list for budget cans. They reveal bad recordings a bit, but that's not the headphones fault.  

TL;DR

598 for balanced with a bit of warm sound added in

Beyerdynamics dt-770 (80 ohm if found for a good price)  for a more traditional v-shaped Bassy with slightly reccessed mids. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 27
Wow.. Lots of info coming in here...

I Prefer open ear headphones because I like a large soundstage. But I'm not agaist closed headphones.

Now that I understand exactly what V shaped means I can say that I am not looking for V shaped ..

the DT 770 looks nice..

I don't have anything against Bass once it isn't exaggerated like the klipsch image one.. those were ridiculous and bloated.

Recessed mids is desireable so an overall dark tone is preffered according to the descriptions above.

It's not that I hate treble. It needs to be there to give u that spark. But the V6 isn't sparkling. It's just painful to listen to. I'm using flac with a presonus Audiobox USB and it is still painful. :frowning2:

And I can't try out headphones with the exception of the M50s..there are no local best buys or electronics stores that carry good headphones. Only low end headphones can be found.

Correction from above, someone mentioned the bose is fatiguing.. that was a mistake,, to me the bose is not fatiguing at all.. it's the Sony V6... I quite like the Bose sound to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back