Looking for headphones, help!
Sep 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dctrombly

New Head-Fier
Well, hello to start off with since this is my first post.

I feel like I have so much to say but don't know where to start so here it goes... Edit: Or you can skip to the end of this post for summary of my situation.

I'm looking for a multi-tasking pair or headphones with a mic. I want to use it with an iPhone, while I'm working, and on Ventrilo for games (if possible). I want comfort, with functionality, and good sound quality.

I just purchased the NuForce NE-7Ms and they didn't work out for me. So these are some things that I have learned from these that I didn't know before. Since they go so deep in the ears when I move around it is extremely noisy from the vibrations. Also, these have too much isolation for my needs. Maybe I don't need in-ears at all but I thought that's what I needed to get good sound quality from bud-like headphones.

I have the Bose in-ears and think that these are the perfect comparison. The Bose fit sooooo beautifully in my ears. They don't sit outside like the iBuds but they go in just a bit, without making that seal that the NuForces make. With the Bose I can use them at work without extremely noisy vibrations completely covering the music. I looked at the Apple IEM and think they look similar to the design of the bose, in the sense that they don't look like they make that tight seal that'll cause those noises. The vibration noise makes me wonder who could actually use headphones like these in any practical situations besides sitting still.

So being new to hi-fi headgear I don't really know what I'm looking for but this is what I want:
-Able to work/run with them without loud vibrations
-Not so seal tight (since I believe this is related to the noisy vibrations)
-Must have microphone
-Good sound quality
-Able to work with Ventrilo for games (optional since I don't know if this would work on any models)
-Budget is around $100

Edit (summary): I found this quote on CNET reviewing the Bose IE Triports and this perfectly sums up what I'm looking for, except with a mic., and rather as an alternative to the Bose...

"The bottom line:
The Bose In-Ear Headphones are a hybrid set, falling right between regular earbuds and canalphones. They don't block out noise, but they do provide much more bass than stock earbuds--almost too much, in fact."

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 12
with an unlimited budget like yours, go for a JH|pro 13, a vcap dock and a lisa III. Please just state a budget...

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah, as you can probably tell by my rant I had a lot of things to say without any planning. I'm looking to spend around $100 or less. Also, I found this quote on CNET reviewing the Bose IE Triports and this perfectly sums up what I'm looking for, except with a mic., and rather as an alternative to the Bose...

"The bottom line:
The Bose In-Ear Headphones are a hybrid set, falling right between regular earbuds and canalphones. They don't block out noise, but they do provide much more bass than stock earbuds--almost too much, in fact."

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 12
the only phones i've used with microphones are the superfi 5 vi they're light enough to run in and reasonably cheap, they sound pretty good for their price much better then the shure e2cs (the next ones up i have are the er4ps which won't suit u)
the seal shouldn't have too much effect on noise from the wire....
with the 5vi i don't notice any noise from the cable, they're designed to wear over the ear and straight down (for the microphone)

Edit: btw i got mine like a year ago for approx 110USD

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with an unlimited budget like yours, go for a JH|pro 13, a vcap dock and a lisa III. Please just state a budget...

he has said the bose were a bit pricey... it's pretty clear his where the end of his budget is....

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by milford302009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only phones i've used with microphones are the superfi 5 vi they're light enough to run in and reasonably cheap, they sound pretty good for their price much better then the shure e2cs (the next ones up i have are the er4ps which won't suit u)
the seal shouldn't have too much effect on noise from the wire....
with the 5vi i don't notice any noise from the cable, they're designed to wear over the ear and straight down (for the microphone)

That is out of my price range I believe. It's $190 from the UE site. And putting in the NuForces again I'm really disliking the isolation. Sorry to keep coming back to the Bose but there must be something else like it that uses an earpiece that isn't an earbud but also isn't a canalphone. This also makes me wonder what makes the cable noise. I'm thinking because the NuForce's cord is very "stiff" compared to some of the other ones I have?

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dctrombly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is out of my price range I believe. It's $190 from the UE site. And putting in the NuForces again I'm really disliking the isolation. Sorry to keep coming back to the Bose but there must be something else like it that uses an earpiece that isn't an earbud but also isn't a canalphone. This also makes me wonder what makes the cable noise. I'm thinking because the NuForce's cord is very "stiff" compared to some of the other ones I have?

don't trust the ue sites... go look around on forums/trading sites... the official websites usually set the price too high
for example
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/br...fi-5vi-444788/
u might b able 2 talk about the price a little
are you sure ur disliking the isolation or just the tips, you can always change the tips, i find to be pretty comfy, just itches a bit after a few hours of wearing at the same time... mainly due to my excess ear wax...
i personally don't know any phones that are similar to bose shaped earphones to be honest...
the 5vi doesn't go in too deep just sits at the edge of the ear, i have tried some bose earphones, and found them to feel very weird...
btw the isolation is pretty important in having a good SQ
if you insist in getting a bose shaped earpiece then good luck to you and hope some1 else can help u...

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 12
Just saw another pair of Grados today while stepping into the library building!

Guy seemed to be using Bowls, just like yesterday. I'm no Grado expert though.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 12
So it seems that the Bose in-ears are unique in the design of the tips. The bose in-ears are more like an earbud to me rather than an in-ear so I guess I'm looking for earbuds that can deliver good sound quality (also with a mic).

I might try ordering different headphones from the Apple site and just keep trying them out, since they have a great return policy on audio gear. If nothing works out then I may just go for the bassy Bose. :/

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 12
I wouldn't suggest bose- not for a long shot.

If i was you, i'd go for the apple duel driver IEM, with the inline mic and controls.
They're extremely underrated.

I think they'd be perfect for you, as they are extraordinarily comfortable for universal IEMs. The silicone sleeves are soft and light when worn, frankly, they're up there in the most comfortable IEM's i've tried.

i'd give that a shot. They can be found - genuin- on ebay from one dealer for $45 free shipping. however, if you want the apple warranty, you'd probably need to buy them from the apple store, or authorized apple retailers.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 12
Well I'm sold. That's the first good reply I've gotten so i'll take it to heart. I live close to an Apple store so I might just go pick 'em up. Thanks again! I'll post back when I've tried them out.

The sound isolation shouldn't be a problem. I just thought that was the reason for the cable noise. It would make more sense that because the NuForce cord is very stiff that that's the source.

Do you know if I can use the mic as a gaming headset on Skype or Ventrilo?

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 12
Klipsch image S4i with mic are really good sounding IEMs(check the Cnet review).......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back