Looking for headphones/headset no more than $80 for gaming and dubstep/rock
Jul 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wes1099

100+ Head-Fier
I am a pretty serious gamer, and i like listening to music, especially rock and dubstep. I am looking for a pair of headphones or a headset no more than $80 (i don't want to go any more expensive because i go through headphones rather quickly because i use them a ton and i travel with them).

So far i have found the AGK K142HD headphones, the AKG K514MKII headphones, and the SteelSeries Siberia V2 headset

Right now i have a pair of Plantronics Gamecom 777's and some AKG K77's

The Plantronics are about 3 1/2 years old and are falling apart, and the AKG K77's are about 2 years old and are falling apart.

I am open to any reccomendations as long as they are no more than $80

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 9
In my opinion, often being a better gaming headset implies being a worse sounding headphone for music, and that's because a good gaming headset should reproduce important frequencies louder than those which aren't important. That means, its frequency response is FAR from flat. And a flat frequency response is what you need to have a great music experience with headphones or speakers most of the time.

I have a pair of Steelseries 4H, and it is clearly a very unnatural headphone, horrible for music, but great for gaming. I used to play counter strike some time ago, and those steelseries reproduces steps of players that were quite far from my position (at audible volume), and that for sure, is a good 'in game' advantage.

Best Luck!

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
I am a pretty serious gamer, and i like listening to music, especially rock and dubstep. I am looking for a pair of headphones or a headset no more than $80 (I don't want to go any more expensive because I go through headphones rather quickly because I use them a ton and i travel with them).
So far i have found the AGK K142HD headphones, the AKG K514MKII headphones, and the SteelSeries Siberia V2 headset
Right now i have a pair of Plantronics Gamecom 777's and some AKG K77's
The Plantronics are about 3 1/2 years old and are falling apart, and the AKG K77's are about 2 years old and are falling apart.
I am open to any recomendations as long as they are no more than $80

What kind of gaming, FPS? or other?
PC? or console?

Check out the Takstar Hi2050 (Technical Pro HPT-990) semi-open headphones.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
What kind of gaming, FPS? or other?
PC? or console?

Check out the Takstar Hi2050 (Technical Pro HPT-990) semi-open headphones.

+1

Takstars Hi 2050 are probably best bang for the buck and probably one of the best sounding headphones under 200 dollars (IMO)

I don't use to listen to Dubstep, but while I'm writing I'm listening to Ekstrak-Belt with my Hi-2050 to give you a better opinion.

Just don't expect them to give a lot of bass impact when playing Dubstep. If you can deal with that, Hi 2050 will give you amazing sound for its price.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 9
I play all sorts of PC games, i play team fortress 2 (fps), Counter Strike: Global Offensive (fps), DOTA 2 (moba), warframe (third person shooter), and lots of others, but sound only really matters in shooters and sometimes games like DOTA.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
And would it be worth it to get the Technical Pro HTP990 for a little extra so i get a carrying case?

To the best of my limited knowledge (best guess), Hi2050 & HPT990 are the same headphones with different brand names.
How much extra for the carrying case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back