Looking for headphones/headset for gaming only! No budget.
Jul 30, 2013 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Hobsten

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post. I recently found this website which basically is a goldmine for headphone lovers. I've been checking out various guides like Envy's and they've been really helpful! I know very little about audio in general so any help is appreciated.

To the point:
I've decided to get a pair of headphones for music and a headset for gaming. It's gonna be primarly used for Counter-Strike;GO and therefore need a wide soundstage(?) with not too much bass. I prefer closed-back over ear, as I sometimes attend noisy LANs, but it will mostly be used at home where there isn't much noise at all. However IF you were to recommend me open-back headphones/headset I'm gonna be needing earphones/IEMs(?) for LANs with good soundstage, isolation and fits with those hearing protection sets that isolates sound very well. Mic is really important aswell, doesn't really matter if it is clip-on mic or it comes with a headset, but it needs to be good and not pick up much backround noise.

To put it all in perspective of what I'm looking for: I've been using Logitech G930 and I've been really satisfied with the sound in-game, for music and the mic is really good! I don't really have a budget, but I want sound + mic for a good price.

Soundcard: Asus XONAR Essence STX or Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium HD(?) (NOTE: Must work good for gaming and music)

Headphones/-set i've considered so far:
Audio Technica ATH-A900 Fullsize closed-back
Audio Technica ATH-A700X closed-back
Sennheiser PC 350 Special Edition closed-back (considering strongly)
AKG K701/702
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 32/250 Ohm

Thanks, 
- Hobsten

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 14
Titanium HD sound card, $?
Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $200
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 14
The Titanium HD`sound card will work well with music aswell? I've considered ATH-A900 strongly. I live in Norway and I don't think any norwegian store has the X versions. Atm I'm considering PC 350 SE and ATH-A900. Why would u've picked ATH-900 over PC 350?

About the amplifier. I've seen a lot of posts where people say that an amplifier is more for console instead of PC, and that a sound card can do the same job as an amplifier for a cheaper price(?)

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 14
The Corsair headsets are a phenomenal choice for gaming, and pretty decent for audio/video as well.  I've still got a pair of their original HS1 cans and they're still trucking two and a half years in.

Currently I think the Vengeance 1500s are the USB version with a built-in digital processor (does Dolby Surround, 7.1, etc. without needing a discrete soundcard) and the 1300s are the same set but with analog 1/8" plugs.  their big 50mm drivers give a surprisingly roomy soundstage, and there's next to no listening fatigue.

I'm not sure if or how they're rated on here, but I can tell you that I consider them easily the best headset under $100 available.

As background, I'm a gamer of many years and play a wide variety of stuff. Right now I'm mostly playing BF3, Skyrim and Borderlands 2, with some Diablo 3 in there. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
The Titanium HD`sound card will work well with music aswell? I've considered ATH-A900 strongly. I live in Norway and I don't think any norwegian store has the X versions. Atm I'm considering PC 350 SE and ATH-A900. Why would u've picked ATH-900 over PC 350?

About the amplifier. I've seen a lot of posts where people say that an amplifier is more for console instead of PC, and that a sound card can do the same job as an amplifier for a cheaper price(?)

Then get the Essence STX, it's what I use.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Essence STX for gaming and music? And I won't need an amplifier?

Fine for gaming, music and movies, comes with it's own built in amplifier, even drives my 600-Ohm headphones.
Best price I could find for new in $179 at B&H.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for your replies. I might be going for the STX and A900 combo. But do you think this will perform better than a Logitech G930/G35? They are USB and doesn't require a soundcard

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 14
If anyone has some other advice I'm open for it!

Anybody know if the Essence STX and ATH-A900 combo will outperform a Logitech G930/35 (in terms of mic and soundstage, sound etc.)

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 14
My gaming headset of choice is the Logitech G35 and the wireless version, the G930. The G930 has recently stolen the show; it has a control pod on the left ear, with a digital volume control - it talks natively to OSX, sending the same keypresses as the keyboard's volume up/down, rewind, fast-forward, and play/pause keys. The G35 has the same control layout. The software is windows-only, but basic and intermediate functions are natively supported on a mac (and honestly work a little better than on Windows). The drivers are fantastically powerful, with macros and hotkeys and in-game bindings for your earcups.

Bluntly, these things steal the show because I can walk around most of the house and maintain a connection to the computer. The battery life is... there may be a limit, but I've never run into it. Put it on charge every time you put it away, and you're not likely to run them dry.

Seriously, I could write songs of praise for these things. You know what you want, and the G930s are delivering it. Do you have a real reason to switch away, or are the 930s you're using not yours?

The only way to improve them I can think of is adding Bluetooth 4.0 and a USB / phone switch to them next to the surroundsound switch. An analog override would be nice (4-pin TRRS jack), and a microUSB-to-Lightning (I use iOS) connector to bypass an iPhone's internal DAC would be nifty too. Okay, that's not all as far-out as I'd thought at first, but none of it's trivial. Sonically, they're adequate - and being a head-fi-er, that's a high bar.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #12 of 14
I don't like to bust people, but in this case I will make an exception: do not EVER get the G930.  It is a decent 7.1 set of cans but that's it.  Awful 2.1 sound and VoIP plus ****ty drivers that will drive you nuts.  If you must stick with "gaming" headset, then the Razer Megalodon is a better choice, but it still in no way comparible to true headphones mentioned above.  The best of both worlds will be the V-MODA M-100 with their BoomPro Mic, which is great for games and VoIP with sounds miles ahead of any 5.1 or 7.1 gaming headset you can find.

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 14
  Thanks for your replies. I might be going for the STX and A900 combo. But do you think this will perform better than a Logitech G930/G35? They are USB and doesn't require a sound card

I would guess the STX/A900 would provide better audio quality (detail) over the Logitech G930, which might make it easier (for the STX/A900) to indentify sounds in the game.
The Logitech G930 technically has a "sound card" built in, it's that Logitech USB stick that plugs into the base, is the "sound card".
So it's the $175 STX sound card verses a ($40?) USB sound card.
But I've never been a FPS gamer and have gamed very little in the past several years, so my opinions on this might not be something to depend on too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back