Looking for headphones great for piano.
Jul 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

thatBeatsguy

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=10pt]Hi,[/size]
[size=10pt]   I've been listening to EDM for so long, that I cried when I put some Solo Piano through my desktop speakers. It was magical. It was unlike anything I've ever heard (okay, maybe not). But just before I was about to be taken away by the music, I felt that it needed to be done justice, and I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will do just that.[/size]
[size=10pt]   I’ve tried EQ’ing my Beats, but it just wouldn’t cut it. I could use speakers, but my sister doesn’t like that part. So, let’s get down to the details.[/size]

[size=10pt]   It has[/size] to do well with piano music, but if it does well with acoustic instruments (like percussion, acoustic guitar, upright bass,) and/or classical strings, then that's a plus. However, I don’t plan to buy right away; I need to know what is best for this genre.
[size=10pt]   It doesn’t have to be open or closed. I’d like closed headphones as they have better isolation, but I like open one too for a change, and to experience a better soundstage. If I were to buy, my budget would be $400, though if required, I’m willing to spend on anything under $500. Like I said, all I want is what’s best for this type of music.[/size]
[size=10pt]   Since this price range is home to rather power-hungry headphones, I’m willing to spend on an amp. Any recommendations are appreciated, though I plan to get the FiiO E17 Alpen for about $150 here. That will add to the total budget of $500. My source is normally an iPod or an Android phone, but I will use these headphones primarily at home. Otherwise, I could also opt for home-only wireless headphones as I am often holed up in my home.[/size]

[size=10pt]   I’ve been looking at:[/size]
  1. [size=10pt]AKG K702, K551, Q701[/size]
  2. [size=10pt]Beyerdynamic DT990, DT880, T70p[/size]
  3. [size=10pt]Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD598, RS180, Momentum[/size]
  4. [size=10pt]Yamaha Pro 500[/size]
  5. [size=10pt]Philips Fidelio X1[/size]

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 13
If you can find a set my favorite is the AKG K240 Sextett. Otherwise the K702 is also a great choice. There were a set of sextetts in the classifieds here recently so you might be able to get your hands on some. You can get a set for $120 ish but you're going to need to spend the rest of that 500 on a really powerful amp like the project Ember. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 13
Personally I find hd650 to be less suited for acoustic guitar and piano than the hd600. Get the hd600 used with a decent dac/amp combo like centrance dacport. I have the hd650 and dacmini but feel it is too rich in the midrange and rolled off in the treble for a brilliant, sparkly grand piano.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
If you can find a set my favorite is the AKG K240 Sextett. Otherwise the K702 is also a great choice. There were a set of sextetts in the classifieds here recently so you might be able to get your hands on some. You can get a set for $120 ish but you're going to need to spend the rest of that 500 on a really powerful amp like the project Ember. 

You, uh, kinda forgot my location. Shipping costs will double if not triple the price I'm paying for.

Personally I find hd650 to be less suited for acoustic guitar and piano than the hd600. Get the hd600 used with a decent dac/amp combo like centrance dacport. I have the hd650 and dacmini but feel it is too rich in the midrange and rolled off in the treble for a brilliant, sparkly grand piano.

They don't have used pairs around here. It's either new or fake 95% of the time. But damn, that dacport will cut down the budget to nothing! Meh, I guess the HD580/600/650 is too much of a wallet-burner. I'm saving up for a rig at only 500 dollars tops. You swerved off the budget right there.
   Okay, let's get down to the price totals:

1. The HD600 costs about 1800-3000 RMB (Chinese currency FYI), or about 300-500 USD. Average prices come at about 375. Okay, for a Sennheiser pair coming close to High-Fi, prices like these are low enough....
  2. But enter the labyrinth and confront the DACport. That thing burns my budget by 2800-3200 RMB, or from 450-525 bucks. I don't know what will make it sound so good, because I already have a 5.1-channel receiver/DAC/amp and I could also use that one and head to Audio heaven. It's a Yamaha RX-V359, by the way; good luck finding an actual product spec sheet for that thing.

I'm new to DACs and amps, so I'll take it over to you. But keeping within budget, do you think I could just use the HTPC receiver/DAC/amp and be done with it? Or are there cheaper alternatives to the already-400-dollar DACport? I think that the headphones are worth the money, but the amp? Really?

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 13
Couple other suggestions:

1) Schiit DAC/Amp combo for 200$ looks good.
2) You could get some Grados (SRi80...$80?) and pair them with an Audioengine D1 (169$).  Good synergy there...
3) Also, I second the AKG recommendation.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Couple other suggestions:

1) Schiit DAC/Amp combo for 200$ looks good.
2) You could get some Grados (SRi80...$80?) and pair them with an Audioengine D1 (169$).  Good synergy there...
3) Also, I second the AKG recommendation.

So the DACport comes at half price used? Wow, that's basically nonexistent in my market. At first glance I thought, "Is it really that expensive? I thought it was a mid-range DAC/Amp."

1) Holy Schiit! 
biggrin.gif
 That combo looks mighty fine if you ask me.
2) Wow, so pair a pair of Grados with an amp and you get a good combo for piano music? Wow. Then, I'll just take out the amp and hand it to my friend (who's really into rock music as of late). She'll go "wow."
3) AKG K702 or Q701, huh? Those are monitoring-class HPs, right?

Because if I'm lucky, I might be able to sell my Beats to an unwary buyer at about $300, then use the money towards a rig. I could set aside about $50 though, for some in-ears like the JVC HA-FX40. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back