Looking for headphones - for use with Jazz
Mar 2, 2005 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WorldIRC

New Head-Fier
So my main genre is Jazz - I am a music major and I do plenty of listening exercises so I am very picky when I am listening. I guess what I am saying is I am already well trained. I already have the PX200s but I want something more. Something that helps to accentuate all those minute characterstics that are unique to jazz. Something that can bring out the lows of the double bass and low strings and something that can also bring out the highs of the trumpets.

I am looking to spend between 100-150US I guess. It will mainly be used with my laptop - via the Audigy ZS Pcmcia and the regular sound card port. I may occasionaly plug into my ipod as well. I don't care what they look like -- people know I'm crazy picky with music anyways
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, and great forum you all have here! Cheers!

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 10
hmm, you know the K501 sounded really great with jazz. with the right amp, i'd recommend it. without an amp, i wouldn't.

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Grad 125s are pretty good for acoustic jazz.Though they lack really deep bass,their pretty good for early Miles and Coltrane.

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 10
I would suggest the Grado 225s because they can give you the detail you want to hear together with decent bass. And they can be easily driven by a laptop without a headphone amplifier.

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 10
In that price range I would suggest a new HD555, or looking for a used pair of 595's (but this may be slightly over the $150 limit). The only problem you might have with the 595 is that if the recording quality isn't all that great, it may start to show. The 595's are fairly forgiving of poor recording quality, but it would still be noticeable.

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 10
If amped, AKG K501 are very silky smooth and liquid fons. Sounds like music hall. Unparallel in its female vocal, piano, cymbals reproduction.
If unamped, Alessandro MS1 are very intimate and involving fons. Sounds like jazz bar. Unparallel in its guitar, drum, fast beat reproduction.

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I'd say, get an Etymotic ER-4S (or ER-4P plus 4P->4S adaptor), and plan to upgrade by adding an amp when you can afford it. The Ety will give you the precision you're looking for, and give you a very balanced presentation of the sound. New they're around $220 these days, but with a little patience you can probably find a used one in your price range.

Another one to consider is the AKG K271 Studio. It's a real sound engineer's headphone -- wearing it with movies I become extra aware of things like room tone, rustling clothing etc. in the soundtrack. Opinions of the K271 seem to fall all over the map, though, so you might or might not like it.

Doesn't your music department (or someone in your music department) have some gear you could listen to and come to your own conclusions? As you've probably already realized, tastes vary widely.

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 10
wow, so many distributed suggestions.... i wouldve thought people would recommend the Ax00 series!

well i recommened the A500 or the A700
biggrin.gif
, my A900s are excellent for jazz even unamped, and i heard the A500 and 700 do almost as much the same. i dont think i could tell a difference actually, but i just went for it because it was my present(let me chose the present heh)

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
I'd say, get an Etymotic ER-4S (or ER-4P plus 4P->4S adaptor), and plan to upgrade by adding an amp when you can afford it. The Ety will give you the precision you're looking for, and give you a very balanced presentation of the sound. New they're around $220 these days, but with a little patience you can probably find a used one in your price range.

Another one to consider is the AKG K271 Studio. It's a real sound engineer's headphone -- wearing it with movies I become extra aware of things like room tone, rustling clothing etc. in the soundtrack. Opinions of the K271 seem to fall all over the map, though, so you might or might not like it.

Doesn't your music department (or someone in your music department) have some gear you could listen to and come to your own conclusions? As you've probably already realized, tastes vary widely.

I never even thought to ask the music dept at my university -- I will ask my band director today what he recommends I should do. I was looking at the Grado SR80s -- would these do the job? They've got decent reviews and fit in my range I belive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back