Looking for headphones for metal music
Jun 30, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #16 of 47
a used pair of AKG K240 sextetts,my favorite rock & metal headphone. Cann be found on eBay for around 100.00-150.00 usd. I use vintage receivers to drive mine,but your modern receiver could conceivably work.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #17 of 47
I`m not going to order headphones from ebay or any international webstore. The headphones should be available in my country for warranty reasons. The Hifiman HE 400 S are available, but I think they are too expensive here. Could get 3 pairs of Sennheiser HD 25 for that price. Currently two stores are selling them. One of the stores has very good sales from time to time, so they may become more affordable in the future.. But I obviously don`t know if that will ever happen...

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #18 of 47
a used pair of AKG K240 sextetts,my favorite rock & metal headphone. Cann be found on eBay for around 100.00-150.00 usd. I use vintage receivers to drive mine,but your modern receiver could conceivably work.

I suppose they are a totally different beast than the current version? Or are they similar in sound? Their impedance are very different. I have not heard the modern version btw.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #19 of 47
I`m not going to order headphones from ebay or any international webstore. The headphones should be available in my country for warranty reasons. The Hifiman HE 400 are available, but I think they are too expensive here. Could get 3 pairs of Sennheiser HD 25 for that price. Currently two stores are selling them. One of the stores has very good sales from time to time, so they may become more affordable in the future.. But I obviously don`t know if that will ever happen...
Just have to say there are 3 400’s the 400i,400S and 400’s. They are all completely different.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 47
I suppose they are a totally different beast than the current version? Or are they similar in sound? Their impedance are very different.
Very different. Have the sextets and Monitors both from the 80’s are are totally different. Have not heard the new ones.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #22 of 47
Jun 30, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #23 of 47
@AnotherAirGuitarist any chance the Philips Fidelio M1 MKII is available in your area? That is a surprisingly well tuned headphone, absolutely knocked my socks off and because it is fundamentally well tuned it should play well with any genre, plus it is quite affordable. Shame that the 400i or 400S aren't more affordable in your area.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #25 of 47
Love my 400’s and 500’s but they need more power.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #26 of 47
@AnotherAirGuitarist any chance the Philips Fidelio M1 MKII is available in your area? That is a surprisingly well tuned headphone, absolutely knocked my socks off and because it is fundamentally well tuned it should play well with any genre, plus it is quite affordable. Shame that the 400i or 400S aren't more affordable in your area.

I found M1 with microphone for smartphone. Is that the version you were thinking of.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 47
I suppose they are a totally different beast than the current version? Or are they similar in sound? Their impedance are very different. I have not heard the modern version btw.

Nah,different,entirely.
Check out my review I did on them and it will give you all the details.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #28 of 47
They need power or high output impedance from a vintage amp so that is a drawback. Love them yes but a bit hard to drive for most.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 47
I found M1 with microphone for smartphone. Is that the version you were thinking of.
I believe so, just make sure you hear the MKII version as it was retuned and very well received. I am always surprised at just how good they sound. Of course it is subjective, but I would strongly suggest if you can audition them that you do. You may find they fit the bill nicely, sound signature wise anyway. I purchased my pair (orange accents) for $69US so quite the good deal I thought, one of the best purchases I have ever made when considering price to performance ratio.

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #30 of 47
I believe so, just make sure you hear the MKII version as it was retuned and very well received. I am always surprised at just how good they sound. Of course it is subjective, but I would strongly suggest if you can audition them that you do. You may find they fit the bill nicely, sound signature wise anyway. I purchased my pair (orange accents) for $69US so quite the good deal I thought, one of the best purchases I have ever made when considering price to performance ratio.

I`m quite sure the version I found was the first version. I only found one webstore selling them. The MKII version is not to be found anywhere unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back