looking for headphones for around 200$
Oct 16, 2007 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Shauntell47

100+ Head-Fier
hi everyone, been reading a lot of posts but didn't find what i'm looking for... as written in the title, i'm looking at a budget of around 200$ for headphones or headphones + amp... i'd be using them a home in quiet conditions plugged to my new cowon iaudio 7, which have a maximum output of 26+26=52mW on 16ohm earphones( no idea if this helps)... listen to 128kbps oggs... i'm relatively new in the audiophile world... don't have too many references... but i do own a pair of IEMs, Audio-Technica CK7s which i really like due to their clear treble and nice bass... i listen mostly to rock and a little of rap... i was thinking for example of some Grados... maybe the SR 225...
or does it make more sense to get an amp and some cheaper ones... i'd like to hear some opinions... thanks in advance...

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 4
If you can get a SR-60 at the US price somehow, get those. Otherwise, you could get a MS1 from Alessandro's website (free worldwide shipping). You should have no trouble reselling locally if you don't like them because Grado's european prices are crazy.
There's no point in buying expensive Grados unless you know for a fact you like the fit and the sound. Everyone has different tastes...
There are lots of other headphones you might like obviously but I can't tell you which ones you might like or dislike.

I have no experience with your Cowon but all the Li-powered Korean DAPs I've tried had enough juice to drive conventional headphones.

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi everyone, been reading a lot of posts but didn't find what i'm looking for... as written in the title, i'm looking at a budget of around 200$ for headphones or headphones + amp... i'd be using them a home in quiet conditions plugged to my new cowon iaudio 7, which have a maximum output of 26+26=52mW on 16ohm earphones( no idea if this helps)... listen to 128kbps oggs... i'm relatively new in the audiophile world... don't have too many references... but i do own a pair of IEMs, Audio-Technica CK7s which i really like due to their clear treble and nice bass... i listen mostly to rock and a little of rap... i was thinking for example of some Grados... maybe the SR 225...
or does it make more sense to get an amp and some cheaper ones... i'd like to hear some opinions... thanks in advance...

what ever you do, i'd say buy the best headphones you can and worry about all the other bits later.

I rather be with my Sennheiser HD650's wioth no amp, than have a lesser pair of headphonees, with an amp.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 4
ok, thx for your replies... i think i'm going to go with the ms-1... where's the cheapest i can get them ( i'm going to the us for xmas so i could get them there too)... and what kind of amp would you suggest getting for them (not too expensive)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back