Looking for Headphones For Acoustic Music - Around $100
Jun 30, 2015 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MuttonChew

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I have recently decided i want to retire my old, cheap earbuds for some good over ear headphones. I have started to do some research but haven't been able to find anything conclusive. I am looking for a pair of cans around $100 US ( i am willing to spend a bit more if i have to). If possible a pair geared towards acoustic style music would be preferred. I have found a couple of pairs that i am considering including: Sennheiser HD 449, Beyerdynamics DTX 910, and Shure SRH440 but i'm not sure if these are my best options. I will not be using an amp, and leakage is not much of an issue.
Thanks for the help,
Mutton

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Shure SRH440 remain one of my favourite headphones at $100.

The stock pads are a little stiff - you can switch them out for Brainwavz HM5 pads found at MP4Nation.

They'll look like this, big pillows on your head.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Since H20Fidelity mentioned the Brainwavz HM5 pads, the Brainwavz HM5s are another headphone that would be very good in your budget range. These are also rebranded and sold as the Fischer FA-003, Jaycar Pro, and Lindy Premium headphones. Then NVX XPT100 is another version that has a different headband, but otherwise the same. So you might find one or another of those branded versions cheaper depending on where you live.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 8
I can only seem to find the brainwavs HM5 on Amazon.ca and they are $50 more than the Shure srh440, so do you think it's worth it to pay extra for the Brainwavz, or should i just stick with the Shures?

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 8
If open headphones are ok, then Senn HD558 is really good for acoustic and they are right around budget. If you want a closed back then Sony DRZX701P is going for an omg price, $49 on amazon and are quite a bit better than the Shure440 IMO

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 8
I can only seem to find the brainwavs HM5 on Amazon.ca and they are $50 more than the Shure srh440, so do you think it's worth it to pay extra for the Brainwavz, or should i just stick with the Shures?

More of a personal preference thing than one headphone is better than the other.

If you like electronic music or other music with deep sub bass extension, the Brainwavz will do a much better job with that. In that regard, the Shures tend to roll off in bass like bookshelf speakers; the HM5s are more like floorstanding tower speakers.

The Shures are a bit brighter if you like that kind of sound signature. The Shures are definitely more portable friendly if you want to take them out and about, but the HM5s are extremely comfy, like having big mushrooms on your head.

See if this is a better deal for you than the HM5: https://secure.vividcluster.crox.net.au/jaycar2005/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&w=headphone. Same headphone.

Also, Massdrop has the 440s and the ATH-M50x:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/shure-srh440-headphones
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/audio-technica-ath-m50x-headphones
(you must register to view)
Check their international shipping options. Could be a good deal for you (I don't know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back