looking for headphones [~C$240/US$160]
Aug 4, 2003 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hero zero

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I'm currently looking for a pair of headphones that can handle most types of music well [right now, i'm leaning a bit more to classical, etc...not much for rock]...

.it doesn't really matter if they're open or closed, although I'd like to hear what a nice soundstage would sound like [so i guess v-6/7506's are out, or are they?]

my budget is about CAD$240 [is that US$160?] or less.....er...I don't have an amp or a dedicated source, so it's looks as if I'll be running them from an Audigy and a panasonic pcdp....for now at least..

anyway, that's about it..suggestions would be appreciated..

thanks a lot!

Aug 4, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 12
Except for the soundstage, I'd go with the SR-225's (still good for classical). Except for the need of an amp, I'd say go for the Senn 580's.

Maybe Senn 590's?

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 12
thanks for the info blessingx..

man..that's a great deal for the SR225's...too bad they don't ship outside the US......then again, the canadian duties might screw things up....and then there's the fact that I don't have a credit card [I ought to get one]

I forgot about the Senn 590s....they cost about C$300 though......hmm...

I've been doing some research on other stuff...here's what I've been considering:

Ultrasone HFI-650: I've heard it sounds really good, and has a great soundstage for a closed headphone...I'm a bit weary of headclamps, though, like the Senn280s...I got a headache from just wearing them for an hour..my impression of the comfort of the ultrasone's might be wrong, however...

AKG K141S, 240S, 171S: I don't know too much about these....they might do the job....I don't know how much they'll improve with better equipment....but that's the least of my concerns, I guess...

AKG K301, 401: I can't find much info on the 301...most of it's on the 501....anyway, I've heard that they're all pretty good for soundstage....I don't know if they'll do well without an amp, or a good cd player....

Beyerdynamic DT250-80

Beyerdynamic DT531: the 250 ohm impedence is pushing it.....but I read a thread a while back where the user liked the sound out of the 531's on his SB live...

Sennheiser HD497

The Senn280s handled classical pretty well, along with most other types of music [well, to my ears...so far...], except rock, which the SR80s do pretty well...but I just can't live with the probability of getting a migraine from these, that will last for the rest of the day until I sleep at night...

.....so...could anyone give their opinions on any of these, please?

thanks in advance!

Aug 6, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm sure the HD600 is one of the top headphones for classical, but I hear it's very source dependent and needs an amp, I don't have the latter, an I don't think my sources are too great in terms of sound quality.....unless someone's liked the sound of the HD600 out of an SB Audigy soundcard....the headphones jack of which outputs at 32 Ohms.....

are there any other suggestions?

[I hope I'm not causing too much trouble here...maybe I'm just picky...]

Aug 10, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 12
(h/z)ero,

Your thread's a few days old. Did you end up with anything yet?

Someone mentioned the Senn HD 497 as a recommendation for you. I have a pair, and as long as music doesn't have kick drums or rap synth drums, or heavily-bassy bass parts, they're quite good, and especially for the money. Except for that bass bump (which does more than just "thump away" on bassy recordings, but muddles together the lower frequency instruments on poorly recorded, bass-heavy recordings), they're the bargain of the century. I kept my pair that I just got for $50 (U.S.) because they're great with some recordings (I imagine classical would be good), and can easily be driven from a portable. They're less "in your face" than the Grado SR60s, but not quite as shining in detail (a good thing, in my view.) Except for the bass, I would rank them better than the SR60s.

I myself am in the market for cans, but as much for recording/mixing/mastering as for pleasurable listening. I've decided to order the K240S tomorrow morning (unless I change my mind yet again!) Look at the AKG forum at:
akg-acoustics.com
Their guy, Horst, has a lot of opinions about which of their products are better for what purposes.

I plan to ask him about the K141S and K171S as possible candidates for supra-aural phones a bit down the road, once the fall semester paychecks start rolling in :)

Cheers,
Michael Y.

Aug 10, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi Michael,

I actually ended up with a pair of AKG240S, deciding to get a pair of high end phones after I get a good source and amp....

as for the 240S, I find them to be a pretty good pair of headphones [sorry....I'm not that good at reviewing things]. I prefer them to the SR80s for almost all the music I listen to....haven't tried rock yet, though...which is where the Grado's really shine, in my opinion...

the bass for the K240S is more present than on the Senn HD280, but I don't find it obstrusive, nor do I find the highs recessed

I managed to audition the K171, but didn't have anything to compare it with...at that time, however, I found that the bass was a tad bloated...they only had a rock album at the store...the K171's are the smallest of all the Studio series headphones, which makes them the most convenient. They also isolate a lot of outside noise.

As for the K141S, some people on this forum have said that they enjoyed it more than the 240S. I think they said that they felt that the bass was more 'full'

Both the K141S and 240S are semi-open. They do not isolate, if at all, and leak some noise [not as much as Grados, though], so if you need isolation, the K171S, and 271S would be the choices for you, the downside being a more closed in soundstage and the likelyhood of more bass]

Aug 11, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 12
h/z,

thanks for the valuable info! Congrats on the decision to buy the K240S. I'm leaning heavily in that direction myself for my main project studio cans. In terms of accuracy, tonal balance, soundstage, etc., although Headroom.com and a couple of our comrades who have posted on this site prefer the K271S, most others seem to prefer the K240S if closed cans aren't a necessity.

My philosophy about recording equipment, home audio gear, and musical instruments has always been that, with some exceptions, moderately priced equipment, not at all cheap but not too terribly expensive, if wisely sought out, can be *virtually* as good as the top-priced stuff. I sense from what you are saying that the K240S more or less confirms that belief.

I'll let you know what I end up with. You and so many others on this forum have been so kind in helping me (on this thread and the other I started). Thus, I will take the plunge and write my first headphone review when the matter's settled!!

Cheers,
Michael

Aug 11, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Hey Michael,

I'm not too experienced in audio yet, so i'm not sure how useful my findings and advice are...

anyway, I hope my findings and suggestions have been useful to you
wink.gif

I've had a pleasure helping you out and I'm sure many members of this forum have as well

Good Luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back