Looking for headphones based on recent information (Budget: $200)
Jun 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

flabbergaster

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, new guy here. I am in the market for headphones and I have done some research however most articles, reviews or data I find are kind of outdated in terms of technology, because in this day and age it seems to advance so fast that even reviews from 5 months ago become obsolete.

I've come to the conclusion that for my budget, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's are my best bet. However that was concluded by using information that was released quite a while ago...

So what I'm trying to say is what are the best headphones out there, for my budget, that is recently or is going to soon be released that will outperform the ATH-M50's? 

Thanks. I listen to a variety of music, from rock and classical to hip-hop and heavy bass techno. I will use these for some gaming however this is not of high priority, I don't play very often.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 10
Just because a headphone is new dosn't means its better,if it aint broke don't fix it.Back on topic I would'nt really recommend the ath m50 unless you want bass and even then you could always get a sony xb.The fischer fa003(best) unbranded at jay car and dt770 pro 80 is better.The ath m50 is overhyped by alot of people new to the audio world.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 10
The V-Moda M-80s are really good in that price range. I think they sound a lot better than the M50s, personally. If you like mostly neutral sound, with a bit of bass emphasis, they're about as good as you'll find in that price range.

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 10
I did a lot of research and ended up with the M50's. They sound amazing but I found they were quite heavy and clamped on my head a bit tight. After a couple hours of use, they start to give me headaches and require some break time. I love the sound and style but the comfort is something to consider. I also don't of myself of having too large of a head (hat size 7 3/8").

Maybe its just me =/

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Hey guys, new guy here. I am in the market for headphones and I have done some research however most articles, reviews or data I find are kind of outdated in terms of technology, because in this day and age it seems to advance so fast that even reviews from 5 months ago become obsolete.

I've come to the conclusion that for my budget, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's are my best bet. However that was concluded by using information that was released quite a while ago...

So what I'm trying to say is what are the best headphones out there, for my budget, that is recently or is going to soon be released that will outperform the ATH-M50's? 

Thanks. I listen to a variety of music, from rock and classical to hip-hop and heavy bass techno. I will use these for some gaming however this is not of high priority, I don't play very often.

Consider the Beyerdynamc DT770 and the Ultrasone HFi-780. Both, imo, better than the m50

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Consider the Beyerdynamc DT770 and the Ultrasone HFi-780. Both, imo, better than the m50

I personally consider the M50 to be a step up from the DT770 and a HUGE step up from the HFI-780. Ultrasone does treble very poorly in my opinion. I thought the bass was tight on both cans, but I really hated the treble presentation. It makes the music sound kind of tinny and unnatural. The soundstage also felt... oddly artificial. The M50 had a narrow soundstage, but the Ultrasones had a weird soundstage -- I'm not sure which is worse. I also felt like the Ultrasones lacked detail. The way I tested this was I level matched to my other headphones on the amplifier and equalized down the treble on the Ultrasone HFI-780 using InnerFidelity's measurements and matched the treble to my other headphones. The detail retrieval on the HFI-780 at the same volume and same treble level was very mediocre. I really think the treble was giving the appearance of detail, when it was just bright.

The DT770s I actually didn't like compared to the M50. The bass felt too loose for me, a bit muddy. I wish I had a chance to equalize them when I had a chance. (These were the Pro 80s, BTW). I get the feeling I would have really liked these with some equalization.

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that for my budget, Audio Technica ATH-M50's are my best bet. However that was concluded by using information that was released quite a while ago...

What source(s) will you be plugging the headphones into?

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 10
Oh, that's a good question. I was going to get a Sony or Sandisk MP3 player so I can listen to FLAC. Otherwise, it'll almost always be used on my computer.

I'm a bit fond of Sennheiser headphones, are their sub-$200 headphones not on par with other brands in that range?

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Oh, that's a good question. I was going to get a Sony or Sandisk MP3 player so I can listen to FLAC. Otherwise, it'll almost always be used on my computer.
I'm a bit fond of Sennheiser headphones, are their sub-$200 headphones not on par with other brands in that range?

I have the Senn HD558s (50-Ohm) and they are good all around headphones.
The come with a 1/4" jack, which means you have to use their 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter to be able to plug them into an mp3 player.
They are very "German" headphones, little cold and analytical, but they get the job done.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 10
I personally consider the M50 to be a step up from the DT770 and a HUGE step up from the HFI-780. Ultrasone does treble very poorly in my opinion. I thought the bass was tight on both cans, but I really hated the treble presentation. It makes the music sound kind of tinny and unnatural. The soundstage also felt... oddly artificial. The M50 had a narrow soundstage, but the Ultrasones had a weird soundstage -- I'm not sure which is worse. I also felt like the Ultrasones lacked detail. The way I tested this was I level matched to my other headphones on the amplifier and equalized down the treble on the Ultrasone HFI-780 using InnerFidelity's measurements and matched the treble to my other headphones. The detail retrieval on the HFI-780 at the same volume and same treble level was very mediocre. I really think the treble was giving the appearance of detail, when it was just bright.

The DT770s I actually didn't like compared to the M50. The bass felt too loose for me, a bit muddy. I wish I had a chance to equalize them when I had a chance. (These were the Pro 80s, BTW). I get the feeling I would have really liked these with some equalization.

We definitely have different tastes when it comes to headphones :D

I don't mind the M50's, for the price they're pretty good, but I like the "in your face" and bright sound that comes with the Ultrasone's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back