Looking for headphones around $200-ish
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BeefyRook

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am picking out a headphone as a gift for my friend. Our group is pitching in and the budget is around a $200. My friend listen to pop music and occasionally play video games as well. Which headset should I get. Thank you for your time. Cheers

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Wired or wireless? Portable headphones or using mostly stationary? Also do they need to block outside sound?

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 15
I'd look at the Philips Fidelio X2 or the Sennhesier HD560 S

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 15
I never heard either one of those in real life, which one would you recommend more? I think soundstage and imaging is the most important aspects.

I'd say the X2s have wider soundstage but imaging is a little better on the HD560S

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 15
another (great) option are some Audio Technicas (previous season) models: ATH ADG1X (that is the open back version, recommended for the open sound stage that aids ‘gaming’)
Whilst there is another version of the same headphones with a ‘closed’ type design, either make some of the best audiofool GAMING headphones that money can buy.

I have mates who worked at retail and these were the BEST gaming headphones that could be bought (from fifty odd designs and styles); having owned a set for approx five years now I would stand by them.
The replacement models seemed to have moved to smaller drivers (less expense on magnets etc), but these last gen units have all the fruit (eg ‘angled drivers’) and without doubt one of the best microphones on the market (that is ‘built in’).

The cable options that come in the box make running long cables from the back of a PC very easy (and breaks the feed into microphone being seperate to the stereo sound output) meaning that the usage scenarios for these headphones becomes many and varied.

The microphone was the defining element when they first sold (most reviewers noted the vastly ‘above the norm’ microphone quality and rated it well against GOOD standalone microphones).
As gaming headphones they smash most every set out there- these are built by a hifi audio company and look to be a ‘gift’ to the gaming market- as if Audio Technica were trying to break into the gaming market and give much better than typical ‘value for money’.

I bet if you looked around you could find a set on clearence (new in the box) and this would make a GREAT GIFT.
Two things: it screams that you took advice considering the ‘birthday persons’ needs, and researched and found them a bargain (the lionshare of audio kit shopping)
This headset will hold its own against EVERYTHING it will be compared against, and will continue to deliver on the promise of being ‘much better than typical‘ level sound.

For gaming I’d definately take this headset over all others offered (and even some at ‘silly prices’)
I have some AKG openbacks that are equal and the k701 (older, second hand headphone) will technically squeeze out the slightest bit better soundfield, but will require an external amp to sound GREAT.
The above listed Audio Technicas (ATH ADG1X) are sensitive enough to run from small portable players (and give better than market entry sound quality), and will scale well ‘in the future’ on any amp that the user cares to add or try.

On sale these were often ‘below your allocated pricepoint’ and given their being outdated in the market (replaced by newer cheaper bits selling at same pricepoint), make for a great audio bargain.

For equal cash, choosing between all options available, I am quietly quite confident (say that ten times quickly) these will rule supreme over most options.
For audio, the Sennheisers listed above seem to be selling at an often cheap/discount pricepoint, and would be my easy ‘go to’ second place option if needing to make an unresearched purchase and was at mercy of the market availability.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 15
Dec 7, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 15
It looks like the Audio-Technica closed back version is still available. ATH-ADG1X

Yeah comfort is a major factor in headphones. Sometimes good sound alone is not enough if the comfort is terrible.
I don't have these but do have the ATH-A70RX, with the similar "wing" setup (see my avatar). You barely even know you're wearing them.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 15
All these can be powered by a smartphone.
I’d go for closed backs since open backs leak sound and may disturb others. You can’t use those at night or in the bus, gym, etc.
Also look at the AKG K371.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back