Looking for Headphones: ~$500
Jun 20, 2023 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shawns

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a new set of cans, something fun with just a nice sound profile. I don't really need anything perfectly flat. Currently, I have the Ananda Stealths from Hifiman and I'm loving them. I also have a pair of HD600s.

Any recommendations welcomed!

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 11
Are you looking just for headphones or something different like IEMs? I've had those and the stealth is epic for gaming, the hd600 is a safe bet. What difference do you want?

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 11
Are you looking just for headphones or something different like IEMs? I've had those and the stealth is epic for gaming, the hd600 is a safe bet. What difference do you want?
I'm looking for headphones, I really dislike IEMs. The main difference I want is something closed back. I'm getting a roommate soon and a pair of closed-back headphones would probably be nice to have.

Jun 21, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 11
My favorite cans were the Shure 1840. And I’ve heard excellent things about the 1540 closed back. The ear pads are my favorite ones out there.

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Personally I really like the Meze 99 Classics. They look beautiful and in my opinion are very good sounding. They are a bit bassy but, if you like bass like I do then you'll enjoy them. I personally use them on my gaming PC and they sound great out of it.

Jun 22, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Akg k371

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Personally I really like the Meze 99 Classics. They look beautiful and in my opinion are very good sounding. They are a bit bassy but, if you like bass like I do then you'll enjoy them. I personally use them on my gaming PC and they sound great out of it.

Another vote for Meze 99 for a lower cost option, specifically the Noir from Drop for $200 with Brainwavz Sheepskin pads have outlived many sets I have auditioned.

Jun 23, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 11
Ibasso SR3 / SR2
+1

SR2 if you are looking for a more fun take on a reference sound signature (you can switch between more fun and more reference with the included two sets of pads)
SR3 if you are looking for a natural reference sound signature. This one is much more finely tuned, there's less bass, the timbre is more accurate and natural, the mids have more clarity, as a whole, a more serious can.

These two are my favorite cans to date.

Jun 23, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 11
Well you have my first recommendation, the Ananda Stealth and a ton of people's recommendation the HD600 but are you looking to add another open back or interested in going closed? I have the Ananda Stealth and find that my Focal Elegia is the perfect compliment to it for a closed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back