Looking For Headphones $400 And Under
Jun 2, 2015 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Willybugs

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys First Post!!!
beyersmile.png

Recently I have been scavenging all over Head-Fi and  other forums to find a good pair of sub $400 headphones... Who knew that there were so many!!! Well anyways on to the point I could never find "the ones", so i decided too make a thread for help. I am looking for both a closed and an open back to start my collection. I am looking for something well I really don't know since I had Beats... I know scumbaggy... Anyways I want something that can get low with the bass, but not overpower anything, I also adore vocals (By the way I would like each headphone to have these characteristics not one have bass other have vocals) I will be running them through a Fiio E07K Andes (recommend something better for the same price if needed)

Closed Headphones I Have In Mind
-Beyerdynamic Dt 770 (80 ohm)
-Denon D600
-Philips Fidelio L2 (Semi Open)
-Ultrasone Pro 750
-Focal Spirit Classic
-Audio Technica Ath ES-10
-Mr. Speakers Mad Dog
-AKG K550

Open Headphones I Have In Mind
- Beyerdynamic Dt990 Premium or Pro (don't know the difference)
-HifiMan He400
-Sennheiser HD 650/600
-Philips Fidelio X2

Thanks Guys Hope The First Post For Me Goes Well!
deadhorse.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 49
Up to $400 for each headphone? or $400 total to spend?

If you have up to $800, I'd recommend the Audeze EL-8 closed over everything on that list by a wide margin, you won't miss open cans if you get them. 

Off your list I'd take Mad Dogs and HE-400's, but you'll probably need a better amp than the E7

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 49
The Sennheiser HD600/650 isn't going to have nemphasized bass, but it would do basically anything well. The HE-400 has good detail, some extra bass, but it's kind of uneven overall.

Amp-wise, if you are looking for more power, keep a Magni 2 on the short list. It's a desktop amp (so portability takes a hit), but it generally has enough power for anything. My Magni 1 was still good with my HD600.

Oh, and I am assuming that you want two headphones? One closed @ <= $400 and one open @ <= $400?

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 49
The Sennheiser HD600/650 isn't going to have nemphasized bass, but it would do basically anything well. The HE-400 has good detail, some extra bass, but it's kind of uneven overall.

Amp-wise, if you are looking for more power, keep a Magni 2 on the short list. It's a desktop amp (so portability takes a hit), but it generally has enough power for anything. My Magni 1 was still good with my HD600.

Oh, and I am assuming that you want two headphones? One closed @ <= $400 and one open @ <= $400?

I need a portable amp sadly i will be listening all over the place! And yes one $400 close and $400 open!

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 49
I like my DT770s, and with the extra left over you could upgrade to an iBasso D-Zero Mk II, though the E07K would drive them as well.

What are you using as a source?

For the DT990, if you want to go unamped, get the Premium 32 Ohm, otherwise it's your call (or your cousin's) between the Pro and Premium.  I like the Premium looks, but they sound the same (based on reviews).  Differences are looks and the Pro model has a coiled cable where the Premium has a slightly higher clamping force.

Same amp would work for those, though not sure if the E07K would provide enough power for them to really shine.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 49
  I like my DT770s, and with the extra left over you could upgrade to an iBasso D-Zero Mk II, though the E07K would drive them as well.

What are you using as a source?

For the DT990, if you want to go unamped, get the Premium 32 Ohm, otherwise it's your call (or your cousin's) between the Pro and Premium.  I like the Premium looks, but they sound the same (based on reviews).  Differences are looks and the Pro model has a coiled cable where the Premium has a slightly higher clamping force.

Same amp would work for those, though not sure if the E07K would provide enough power for them to really shine.

Thanks I guess the 770's sound pretty good I will thoroughly research them!

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 49
Not sure where you're located, but if you have a Guitar Center nearby, stop in and check them out.  All of the ones I've been to ahve both the DT770s as well as the DT990s and many other headphones.

Not sure if it's the norm, but I had the guy working there open a brand new pair of both DT770s and ATH-M50s for me to listen to.

Worth a try if you have one near you.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 49
Look into Monster 24k's also for closed

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 49
Does anyone have thoughts on the Denons, or the Ultrasones and also are the 770's mids recessed after burn in?

Burn-in doesn't radically change the frequency response of a headphone (if at all).

Here's a graph of the DT770s frequency response. See the dip in the mids?

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 49
Oh wow I do see that, would the Andes be able to EQ that up at all?

I don't know about the Andes. Might only have bass and treble boost.

If you don't like recessed mids, I don't think the DT770s are for you. Soundmagic HP150 would be my recommendation. Good mids and highs, with a bit of subbass boost down very low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back