Looking for headphone with sound signature of Yamaha MT5 but with more detail and top end clarity.
Jul 6, 2021 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Oluvs Buddy

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I' m looking for a closed-back headphone with sound signature of Yamaha MT5 but with more detail and top end clarity.

I tried a few so-called closed-back studio headphones, eg Beyerdynamic DT-770, AKG K371, and they have a kind of "cupped" "boxy", "horny", "hollow" sound which seems to go away at higher volumes which I don't want.

I tried the Yamaha MT8 but it is nothing like the MT5, the sound signature is also more akin to the headphones mentioned above.

I'm trying out the Beyerdynamic DT250/80 and the signature is actually what I want, but it doesn't seem have the "richness" of the sound the Yamaha MT5 has. It sounds rather "thin" compared with the MT5.

I don't know if I'm using the right terminology, but this pretty sums up what I need. Maybe those familiar with the Beyerdynamic DT-250 might understand it better.

In another thread Dr Aural praises the Yamaha MT5 for its similarity to the Neumann KH120 speakers which I know nothing of.

Perhaps those familiar with the sound of the Neumann KH120 will have an idea of what I want and can suggest something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back