Looking for headphone upgrade
Jan 3, 2016 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HUM24H

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am currently looking into getting a new set of Headphones, my limit in terms of cost is £400.00

I listen to Metal, which spans all types of Metal from Black Metal & Death Metal to Djent & Symphonic Metal.

I am currently using the Fidue A83 with my Samsung S6 Edge Plus which I am thoroughly enjoying But I want to explore an over-ear headphone.

I have been looking at the following:

OPPO PM-3
Denon AH-MM400
V-Moda M-100

I have also been eyeing the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless, which do spark my interest for the wireless nature of the headphones but I have always been a skeptic towards Wireless headphones.

So anyone who has listened or tested the Crossfade Wireless, your feedback and opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Also anyone's suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 9
bump

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 9
do you need it to be closed back?

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 9
  do you need it to be closed back?

Yes, due to the fact that I will be using these at Home & at work.

So Closed Back is a must for me.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 9
kick the Denon out, it's bad, especially for the price.  The V-Moda is nice, but very bassy with 10K sparkle thrown on top.  Make sure you like boomy bass before you go that route.  It's fun for sure, and some people *love* it for metal, but some think it isn't fast enough.  There's essentially two thought processes for metal needs: the "gotta be fast as possible" and the "gotta have as much bass impact as possible."  The PM3 is somewhere between those, though it does have a bit of an issue with definition during fast passages due to a pretty hard second ring in the impulse response.  

Both the M100 and PM3 are good choices.  The PM3 is a technical better choice, but some people really like the M100's 10kHz peak for metal, as it gives a bit of sparkle.  The Fostex line may be a better choice, but are above what you're spending (TH600 and TH900) or can't currently be bought new (THX00).

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 9
  kick the Denon out, it's bad, especially for the price.  The V-Moda is nice, but very bassy with 10K sparkle thrown on top.  Make sure you like boomy bass before you go that route.  It's fun for sure, and some people *love* it for metal, but some think it isn't fast enough.  There's essentially two thought processes for metal needs: the "gotta be fast as possible" and the "gotta have as much bass impact as possible."  The PM3 is somewhere between those, though it does have a bit of an issue with definition during fast passages due to a pretty hard second ring in the impulse response.  

Both the M100 and PM3 are good choices.  The PM3 is a technical better choice, but some people really like the M100's 10kHz peak for metal, as it gives a bit of sparkle.  The Fostex line may be a better choice, but are above what you're spending (TH600 and TH900) or can't currently be bought new (THX00).

Ok.

Yeah didn't know too much about the Denon's and to be fair there really isn't much out there on them.

The M-100 do spark my interest for the bass impact but like you said the PM3 is technically better.

Might have to get some demo's in on both of them.

Thanks for your advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back